Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my cars I was told it had the wrong dipstick. From the numbers on the dipstick it is a 1976 LTD 302 dipstick. It does not even touch the oil. So I ordered a new one for a 1964 289 replace the tube, but the stock doesn't go all the way in it hits something. I'm not sure what... And help? 1964 Galaxie 289.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did someone ever open her up and maybe put a windage tray in there...backwards? Even with a windage tray, the dipstick passes through to the oil, obviously.

Maybe they did that, then put the 302 dipstick in thinking it would "clear" the tray or at least touch the top of the oil. Just spit-balling here.

·
Registered
494 Posts
sure its actually a 289? shouldn't matter much but still.
i had to make the one for the 390, so i bought a tube for i think a chevy truck from advance, as it pressed into the block . prior, i filled my motor w 7 qts, (not including filter) and cut the tube down with a tubing cutter until the dipstick went in far enough for it to read full (i have a 7qt pan). .02

·
Registered
392 Posts
I believe your problem is that the 64 and earlier dipstick/tube were longer than the 65+ versions, and therefore, not mix-and-match. See this sidebar and figures from Bob Mannel’s excellent treatise on the small-block Ford. I think the larger size (and higher mounting point) of the generators made access to the dipstick more unfavorable, so a longer tube was used. The shorter ones came with the introductions of alternators in ‘65. Looks like a 5” difference. That would certainly explain why you can’t hit the oil level.

Publication Plant News Font Newspaper

Font Illustration Art Paper Drawing

Font Art Illustration Pattern Paper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the photos! The car was built in July 1964, and has an alternator. I believe all 64s did. I'm sure it's a 289 red air filter and valve covers per 1964. 5 bolt bellhousing. The dipstick goes in just not all the way in, not deep enough to touch oil. The motor recently started leaking like a sive I'm thinking out of the intake so oil level is important. I really need to pull the motor and replace gaskets, but I'm considering putting a 6 bolt 289 in as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe your problem is that the 64 and earlier dipstick/tube were longer than the 65+ versions, and therefore, not mix-and-match. See this sidebar and figures from Bob Mannel’s excellent treatise on the small-block Ford. I think the larger size (and higher mounting point) of the generators made access to the dipstick more unfavorable, so a longer tube was used. The shorter ones came with the introductions of alternators in ‘65. Looks like a 5” difference. That would certainly explain why you can’t hit the oil level.

View attachment 174195
View attachment 174197
View attachment 174198
What book is this????

·
Registered
392 Posts
What book is this????
Mustang & Ford Small Block V8: 1962-1969 Mustang & Ford Small Block V8: 1962-1969: Bob Mannel: Amazon.com: Books

This book is amazing, and a must-have for anyone who owns, restores, or plans to buy a car with a small-block Ford—especially if you care about originality and details. Every time I pick this book up, I learn something, and I can’t believe how exhaustive the knowledge-base is required to write it. Exceptionally well-done and organized, it details the timing of design changes right down to the engineering “change-level” you might not know you have (or had) on your engine tag.

Thanks for the photos! The car was built in July 1964, and has an alternator. I believe all 64s did. I'm sure it's a 289 red air filter and valve covers per 1964. 5 bolt bellhousing. The dipstick goes in just not all the way in, not deep enough to touch oil. The motor recently started leaking like a sive I'm thinking out of the intake so oil level is important. I really need to pull the motor and replace gaskets, but I'm considering putting a 6 bolt 289 in as well.
Unlikely that your car had a factory alternator, though it was possible. Generators were standard equipment until the change to 6-bolt bellhousings. With additional references, Mannel states the introduction of those engines was Aug. 3, ‘64. [This is an important date for Mustang enthusiasts, as it signals the end of the famed '64.5 cars]. He states that Ford did offer alternators in ‘64 as a special-order option, but that very few were sold. Obviously, by 50+ years later, many have been swapped to alternators. But, that’s a little outside the scope of this topic anyway. As far as the oil dipstick goes, the fact is that the tube and stick was longer on cars older than Aug,’64, so using a dipstick from a later car just won’t work. You need the older-style dipstick. I provided the book’s photos of both variants. It should be fairly easy to spot whether you have the longer tube.

Body jewelry Auto part Nickel Gas Metal

Font Illustration Art Paper Drawing

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Master Parts Catalog lists the length of the dipstick as well as the part number for the different applications. My catalog covers 65/72 but maybe someone else has an earlier MPC and can get you some information.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So I ordered a new dipstick for a 64 originally. But do you have a source for a recommended sight for a dip stick?
The one I listed above is the dipstick for the longer tube...I'm guessing that's what you need. If you're asking about the tube, I know the shorter ones are made, but that's a little tricky to swap without taking off the timing cover. They are driven/pressed into the timing-cover casting. I think the right thing to do is to get the longer dipstick to go with your longer tube.

However, if you want to try things with the shorter tube, NPD sells them:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dipstick stick doesn't go all the way in. And never touched oil. I swapped dipstick and tube for a pre 1965 oil dipstick and tube. Tube looks to be the same length as the old one. When the dipstick is placed in the tube it goes in until it is about one inch short of covering the dipstick tube. Does not touch oil... 5 qts replaced religiously, because it leaks and I can't see my oil level...

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is why I'm concerned there may be a tray in the pan (installed incorrectly) or an obstruction. A short stick should go all the way in, even if it doesn't hit oil.

Does the oil pan look stock to you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like a stock pan. I mean it looks large, but not like many larger oil pans I have seen. I might just pull the motor in the spring and pull some things apart and replace some gaskets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here is a source for a reproduction of the long dipstick.
Bumper Nickel Metal Fashion accessory Composite material

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Automotive design

Same Scott Drake dipstick I bought in the past that got stuck... Now I have two. It's about 5/16" wide I don't think that helps. Shipping was astronomical as well. I had replaced the dipstick and the dipstick tube with the Scott Drake products, it now hits something before it hits oil. If I had a thinner dipstick I think it would work. I know you guys are trying to help. I'm just frustrated. Such a simple issue but now one seems to carry a dipstick that will fit just Scott Drake reproductions...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts