Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some advice. I bought a Model 2121 Performer manifold for my '67 289 with a 4V Edelbrock carb and installed it in the spring of this year. It runs great, but I have oil leaks in the front of the manifold. The instructions said not to use the cork end gaskets and only use RTV. I did it this way and put down the 1/4" bead they recommended. I just pulled it off and the bead made pretty good contact, but not as good as I thought. A friend of mine said he had the same problem and recommended using the cork gaskets anyway. I was wondering if any of you had had this problem and what way would you go. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have never used the cork for any engine I have ever built, you just didnt make your bead big enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks guys for the input. It is great to have all this knowledge to tap into. I was checking the thickness of the silicone I pulled out vs. the thickness of the cork and the cork is twice as thick. So I was thinking the cork might hold the manifold up and keep it from sealing on the heads. I was hesitant the first time to really pile it up, but live and learn. Hope to get it right this time. BTW it was very clean and what I put on stuck, just not enough height. I will check out "The Right Stuff".

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I use a 5/16" bead. Never use cork.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
i have used both, on diffrent type of engines...
problem with kork , it has a tendence to want to squish out when tightning manifolld.....cure for that problem, clean surface real good using lackerthinner or acetone....
use contact cement to glue kork to block , a dab of rtv sealer in corners where it meets intake gasket....

if i only use rtv sealer.. clean surface real good using lackerthinner or acetone.... lay down a bead....set intake in place...
install bolts loosely ...insert distrubiture..make sure everything is lined up....
let it sit over night...next morning/day...tighten/torque bolts...

that way the rtv has taken shape also stiffen up...then when tightning bolts it creates a even tighter seal..like a rubber seal....;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again everyone. Getting ready to go out and see if I can get that bead just right. I was also thinking about getting the head to manifold gaskets set in place with a light coat of RTV on each side. Then lay down the bead on each end of the block and also put a light bead on the ends of the manifold as well just before setting it on the block. We will see how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I also suggest the right stuff. It may cost a little more, but it is worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts