Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Subscriber
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well here is what im doing. I have a 97 nissan hardbody that the engine
i bad, I really like this truck and I love fords, so here is my idea, I would like some input, looking at building the 289 in the 5.0 block( just to take advantage of the hr cam) with the stock ho cam, zero decked and balanced, not sure on heads would like to use the afr 165s but i would like to keep the stock cam, on some what of a budget how do you guys think it would run, plan on using the stock mustang efi and upper and lower intakes but have the lower ported, i plan on using this as my daily driver so it will have all acc. thanks, Dustin

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
In my opinion there is no point in using the 289 internals.It will cost money to do and make a little less power. Just keep it simple and cheap and build a 5.0.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi well here is what im doing. I have a 97 nissan hardbody that the engine
i bad, I really like this truck and I love fords, so here is my idea, I would like some input, looking at building the 289 in the 5.0 block( just to take advantage of the hr cam) with the stock ho cam, zero decked and balanced, not sure on heads would like to use the afr 165s but i would like to keep the stock cam, on some what of a budget how do you guys think it would run, plan on using the stock mustang efi and upper and lower intakes but have the lower ported, i plan on using this as my daily driver so it will have all acc. thanks, Dustin
you will have to have the rear lip ground down on the 289 crank to accommodate the seal.

if you are using new pistons just get a 302 crank from a crank grinder. it will probably cost you around 75.00 plus maybe your 289 crank. the rods are the same.

buy the cheapest pistons you can.

buy cheap us made cast iron rings.

have it balanced ir you will likely end up with a vibration.

if the crank damper rubber looks old buy a new damper from pioneer.

if you want hp on a budget buy gt40p heads from a low mileage aerostar van.

if you are going to run premium gas, mill the heads up to .032" from stock but no more than to 56 cc's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts