Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tom Monroe Rebuilding Small Block Fords book states the front cam bearing should be set back 0.005" -- 0.020" behind the front face of the block for timing chain lubrication. If it is not within these specs move it.

The machine shop installed mine about 0.030" back from the front. The oil hole appear to line up okay in the bearing. Should I take the block back the machine shop and have them move it or is this OK?

This is the first time I have ever replaced cam bearings on SBF so please help me out.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'd call the shop and let them know what your concerns are. If they are a reputable shop they will want to correct the problem if it truely is an issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
IMHO, Toms book ha so many errors I stopped counting them. (I sent him a documented list of 50, some years ago, never heard a word) IF the oil hole lines up, run it. And, NO, oil from the front cam bearing does not lubricate the timing chain. It may or may not, depending on the block, oil the distributor stub shaft in the block.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The machine shop said it should not be a concern.

I remembered I had the Ford shop manual for the car which has the same spec as the Monroe book.

It is disconcerting to find out the Monroe book has so many errors.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts