Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Newbie here. I have a question that I found some info on here in this website, but still am seeking some info. I am looking for headers for my '66 Galaxie with a 289, auto. Some people who have posted have said that Hedman shortie headers for late 80's-early 90's F150's may work. I found a set of shorties through Summit (their own brand, SUM-G9036) that fit that yr F150, and for only $160. I also found a set of Hedman full-length headers (through Summit, HED-89270 ) for $175. My question is if they need to be shorties or if longer ones with work? And would I order the ones for 302 or 351 or does it matter? Thanks for any help you may have. I appreciate it!

grebma

1966 Galaxie 2 dr
1966 Galaxie 4 dr
1970 F100
1972 F250 Camper Special

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I used shorty headers for a classic Mustang for my 62 Galaxie. the engine bay should be almost the same. For the most part shorty headers perform as well as long tube unless you have a cam with lots of overlap and shorties are way easier to install and tipicaly cheaper. you will need the 302 headers not the 351 headers. In my experience truck headers tend to be taller and harder to make fit in a car. I tried to make a set of F100 units I had on my Galaxie and there was no way they would fit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok, dont take this wrong, but nobody makes a direct fit header for that?

Or are the direct fits just more than ya wanna spend?

I would definitely stick to simple and common parts if I were working out making a different application header fit- mustang headers are common, cheap, and there are lots of H-pipes or X-pipes available premade that are cheap and you could modify them slightly if need be... The truck headers may have advantages that I dont know of and look be in the the same price range....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably look at the Summit ones as they are a bit thicker and heavier. Anyone have any suggestions for x-pipe/exhaust and mufflers? I want a little rumble out of this little 289 if possible.

grebma

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to know about the X pipe. I don't really want a loud rumble, just a little bit. So which is better for performance on a 289 with 4 barrel- X pipe, H pipe, or straight? Thanks for any info here.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
you have them in the correct order. From a strictly exhaust standpoint less rumble equals more power. The X pipe is the best balanced which is why the rumble goes away. No cross over is the worst balanced as, due to firing order, two cylinders may fire back to back on the same side giving that popping and rumbling sound. Batter balance = better power = less rumble

·
Registered
949 Posts
I used the 80s to 90s truck shorty headers on my 65 custom 500 and they fit like they were made for it and even cleared the clutch linkage,I think they will even work on my 55 sunliner with a 351-W so I am looking to get another set. Jeff

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Torino headers will probably be the closest fit. The friend who is helping me me with my engine project, 351W, is very adamant that long tubes are better fro street engine than shorties, and much preferable, if you can get them. His biggest concern in my case is to find something with clearance at the transmission, the FMX is wider than a C4. We won't order headers until we get the engien and tranny back in the car and can see what we're dealing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the 80s to 90s truck shorty headers on my 65 custom 500 and they fit like they were made for it and even cleared the clutch linkage,I think they will even work on my 55 sunliner with a 351-W so I am looking to get another set. Jeff
I also would like to install a set of headers on my 66 Gallaxie 500, 289-V8, 3 speed standard shift. You had mentioned the fact you used Truck Shorties Headers. I have the same setup and concerned about header fit up
Do you remember the Part Number
Summit has two type listed
SUM-G9035
SUM-G9036

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used this one on the 302 in my 62 Hedman Hedders 88400 They fit really well and were only $100.00 when I bought them. They are now $149.99
Question? Is your set up a Automatic or Standard Shift.
I want to install headers on my 66 Gallaxie 500, 289 V-8 with a 3 speed collum shift. I had ordered a set of headers from Sanderson and the flange hit the trans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts