Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question
I need to put a set of headers on a 66 289 mustang but I will also be throwing away the dogomatic and replacing it with an ear to ear grinning T5. I am assuming that I can either use tri-y's, full length, or shorties that are made to be used with 66 mustang with the manual tranmission. I just want to make sure that I do not stick money into headers that will interfer with the T5.
Thanks - and you guys are always so helpful.

Scott

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You are correct, use any header for that application and you will be fine.
If I might make a suggestion, I would go with the shortys, unless you really need or want the longtubes, this is my opinion based on how the long tubes go around the clutch linkage, and the collectors are usally pinned to the underneath of the car, at least that was the case for the hookers I tried with my 65, I ended up going with JBA shortys, and I am glad I did. My .02

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with Nastystang, I went with longtube headers and really regret it, the clutch linkage is a pain to mess with and worst of all I scrape on lots of stuff and my car is not that low in the first place. When in doubt go with the shorties.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dont forget your "X" pipe!!!!!!

Also, Jimbo is right, if your car is lowered you will have issues with ground clearnce, my car is about 2" lower than stock and I probably would not have been able to get out of my drive way without cutting notches in the concrete, well that may be exaggerated, but the long tubes do present clearence woe`s

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get JBA shortie headers. They make a huge difference in perforance. I have a T5 in my 67 stang and they fitted good and easy installation. And they have not leaked yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A vote for long tube, I have Hedmans on my 65 coupe and Hookers on my wifes 66 convertible, both have T-5 trannys with no problems, also both have original clutch linkage.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My daily driver ( 66 coupe ) has hedman shortys,it is lowered appox. 4.5 to 5.0".My 65 conv. same thing But 3.5" I'm usually a long tube man but i'm just to tired of hitting them on everything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RumpityRump on 3/16/02 12:44pm ]</font>

·
Registered
508 Posts
Another vote for the shorties. I have longtubes on my '67 Cougar, (I know they're not the same as '66 mustang, but it's the same idea). I have hooker long tubes on mine, with a T5 and a cable clutch conversion. Take my advice, GET THE SHORTIES! I've melted two cables, my ground to header clearance is about 2 inches (no lie), power steering had to be dropped with a bracket, the hoses had to be run a different way, and the way the headers end, it's not friendly to the lower T5 crossmember because the exhaust pipes are aimed straight at the tranny. IF I had it all to do over again, I would have spent the extra money and gotten the shorties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put on hooker comp headers on my
66 with a T-5 with no clearence issues what soever. And the fit was great at the heads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts