Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 65 ranchero the fella I got it from said it has 289 heads on the 302 what's the advantages of that?

·
Registered
691 Posts
more compression I think. 289's have smaller combustion chambers. They don't flow much better/worse than most run of the mill 302 heads I don't think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm interesting. There are alot of old performance parts on it he said. I don't know alot about those kinds of things. It also has a 5 speed manual out of a foxbody mustang I'm told. It seems like alot for me I wouldnt mind even putting just a stock 289 in it. I'm not sure how to word my question but how would I go about finding a trade or buying and selling motors? Or would that be to hard?

·
Registered
146 Posts
All stock 289 and 302 heads have 1.79" int/1.45" ex valves, and have 1.94"x1.04" int/1.24"x1.00" exh ports.

There are two differences between standard 289 and standard 302 heads. The first is chamber size. '66 and earlier 289 heads have 53cc chambers. 67-68 289 heads have 63cc chambers. 302 chamber sizes are all over the place, ranging from 53cc ('68 4v head) to 70+cc in the mid to late 70s.

The other is rocker-arm attachment. Pre-'78 heads secure rockers with a nut to a stud in the head. This style is adjustable. '78 and later heads secure the rockers with a bolt to a threaded hole in the head. This style is not adjustable.

Generally speaking, any pre-72 289/302 head has a smaller chamber and is good for compression.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that makes sense. I know it's a 302 from a 68 Torino but not sure what the heads are from. It's alot to drive and more than I need. I had a 64 fairlane with a 289 automatic and I wouldn't mind getting one of those in there. I live in Los Angeles so if anybody knows anyone that has one or interested a trade let me know

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Ok that makes sense. I know it's a 302 from a 68 Torino but not sure what the heads are from. It's alot to drive and more than I need. I had a 64 fairlane with a 289 automatic and I wouldn't mind getting one of those in there. I live in Los Angeles so if anybody knows anyone that has one or interested a trade let me know
"a lot to drive" and a user name of cowboydan.
now thats funny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha alot to drive as in I don't need performance I just want simple old fashioned stock. But sometimes I think about it and it's not bad what I got in there. But some times it feels like it's not even that fast anyways. It almost feels like my 289 automatic had more getup than this 302 manual. Coul it be that I had headers on the 289 and this exaust on the 302 has the stock manifolds with maybe a minor leak in the exaust pipe? I have long tube headers I got with it just havnt got around to put them on. I got the car from an old friend for really cheap and I just don't want to much hassle. Cowboydan has nothing to do with the driving just a nickname

1 - 8 of 8 Posts