Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will heads from a 1987 to 1993 5.0 h.o. fit a stock 1965 289 engine? i read in an old mustang magazine that they would. i need heads that will run on unleaded because the stock 289 heads dont have hardened valve seats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup...

I fit them on my 289.

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srfmustang on 3/21/02 10:17pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
i think the 289 heads flow better than the 5.0.In stock form.Look in the porting stock section

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 3/21/02 5:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
You lose a ton of compression with the 5.0 (E7) heads. 289 heads have a 54.5cc chamber, and I believe the 5.0 heads are 64cc. They also use a fulcrum type rocker arm setup, so different pushrods and rockers will have to be found. Flow differences between the two is a wash. No major advantages for either one. You will need to account for the difference in steam hole locations by drilling new holes in the head or deck of the block being used.

If you are looking for a way to increase the performance of your 289, this isn't it. If you are just looking to put a fuctional set of heads on your 289, it is possible, just be aware of the differences.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think it's only about $100 to get hardened seats installed.... The 289 heads do flow better. E7 heads are about the worst ones for exhaust flow... Check out the tech article on heads for a comparison...

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I wouldn't fool with hardened seats. They can be more of a burden than a blessing. Here's a little information on the subject from Dave Williams... who is a very trusted machinist.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/seat.htm

Here's his whole site.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/

Plenty of GREAT reading here. You could spend hours letting your brain soak up all sorts of cool info.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
What year did Ford start using a hardened valve seat in the factory small block heads?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm putting E7 heads on my 65 Mustang. It will be fuel injected. The reason for the E7 is the water passages are larger than the old 289 heads. This matches up nicely with the fuel injection intake manifold. I am porting and polishing the heads so the air injection bump will be removed. Also, since the engine will be rebuilt, I am installing Keith Black dome top pistons to return the compression back to orginal. By the way the old 289 heads are going on a late model 302 that is in a 1937 Ford Slantback. This car will have a carb on it.
However, what is your application? If it's for harden seats and performance then get the GT40 or GT40P heads. Like the guy said the E7 doesn't flow any better than the old 289 heads.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oils65mustang on 3/23/02 1:17pm ]</font>

·
Registered
750 Posts
dont know the flow rate,but the reworked (larger valves etc)65 289 heads on my 80 302 block seem to do a pretty good job.....for what ever that is worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts