Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had ANY problems after u have installed a edelbrock 289 performer intake manifold on a 302? my 302 is stock out of a 74 (?) it will have a 600cfm edel. carb.

any info would be mucho appreciated

dazecars mentioned something about the exhaust passages.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I ran my old Performer 289 on 3 different 302s and 1 347.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Has anyone had ANY problems after u have installed a edelbrock 289 performer intake manifold on a 302? my 302 is stock out of a 74 (?) it will have a 600cfm edel. carb.

any info would be mucho appreciated

dazecars mentioned something about the exhaust passages.
the performer 289 had no exh crossover in the intake. The performer 302 had the crossover.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Unless it's going to see sub-zero temperatures, I block open crossovers anyway, so it's a non-issue for me. YMMV

David

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what does this passage look like? is it the smaller ports in the middle?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Correct. It allows exhaust heat from the heads to heat the bottom of the plenum under the carb to increase fuel vaporization. Good for cold mornings and non-perf mileage. Bad for power. If you block them (performance gasket sets usually come with either no crossover holes, or bits to block them) the manifold will still heat from the engine, but not as quickly and not as hot.

Also, ignore the rear water crossover on these, as they serve no purpose on the balanced SBF cooling system. Some folks use it for a sensor location, but it reads cool compared to actual, and others use it for a heater outlet source, but again the water is not as hot. If your intake gaskets block them, that's fine. Don't open them up. If they don't, that's fine, as it does nothing except stop questions to Edelbrock as to whether it should be there or why it's missing on other versions. ;)

David

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Mine didn't have a rear coolant passage. Bought mine in '87 ( I remember because my new wife at the time gave me grief for buying it, LOL) they must have made changes through the years.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm so if i block them then ill have bad cold morning starts. but will gain in horse power cause the fuel in the intake manifold will be cooler? but it might hurt my MPG?

if i dont then my engine will warm up to operating temp quicker, but will lose that potential horse power a bit? would it be a noticable amount of HP?

if im right so far then,
she isnt a runner, just a luggy 302 daily driver ide like to pep up abit. plus ive noticed she runs cold. guess ill leave the ports open.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The morning starts are not bad, and you'd never notice, but the choke may have to be adjusted a tweak harder. Likewise, you don't lose MPG once the engine is up to temp. But, yes, during that extra couple of blocks of extra choke driving, your MPG will be less. It will drive normal and you'll never know the difference, but you'll take a tiny hit in your overall MPG because of it. If you commute, you will probably see not MPG difference. If it's a short-trip car, you probably will, as it takes longer to warm to full temp.

The gains in power are not noticeable while warming, but are noticeably improved once full temp as compared to open ports. Only a few HP, but enough to tell when you punch it. The crossover heat is nice to help short-trip MPG, but since you can't shut it off after warmup, it bakes the lower intake at 400°+, helping nothing and robbing power. It's a tradeoff, and up to you for which to do. Personally, if it's a short-tripper (more than 1/2 the trip with choke on) leave it open. Normal driver or commuter, block it off. HTH

David

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmm 50/50, short trips but they are short cause of the highway. more miles then minutes, its probably a long trip commuter.

thanks for all the help guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts