Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a crack at stripping a 289 and building it up I really dont have any experience but theres info available I cant find anything on low compression builds ie 8:1 but using after market parts from what I gather the deck gasket and head chamber is crucial as well as piston stroke is this right Im asking for a starting point ie is there something I'm looking for buying a stock block cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everyone has their own preferences, but why that low of comp? Usually that is for a blower? If because of the gas, 9.1 will serve you better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah boosted the r35 v6 is 7.2:1 so I'm looking at the how 2 online
I picked up a few tips on YouTube ie the how to on low compression with a v8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know what max rpm and h.p the 289 can take before it grenades itself considering 7.5:1 to 8.1:1 with a v strong rebuild

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I doubt that you can find a stock 289 worthy of boost. This would be a complete custom build, pistons, rods and crank along with a good set of heads. This will easily put you past the limit of the block with 10 to 15 pounds of boost.
Buy a Dart short block and good heads and whatever windmaker you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'll start with a stock block and do the whole build from there why a dart block

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The stock blocks have limits, I've heard everything between 450hp and 600hp before they split down the middle. I suppose it depends on how lucky you are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah maybe I'll have to go to 302 remanufactured theres plenty of them summit have them the dart block is around 2000usd ok lots to think about cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts