Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to the members:
I am redoing a 289 that has a set of stock 289 heads 1966 with the casted "C6" on them. The block has been fored .040 over.

The heads are completely redone along with a port job. I currently have a set of TRW forged L2305's pistons. The pistons are dished along with 4 valve reliefs.
The motor does not have a lot of time on it, but I am redoing it because I have a larger than needed cam along with potentially a low compression motor. I would like to run about 10 to 10.5 to 1 C.R.

If anyone has a suggestion to the direction I should go, please let me know. I already know the cam that I will be using thanks to all the feedback from a previous post.

Thanks again for all your help.
SAS

·
Registered
237 Posts
i think trws forged l2448f (not sure on the part number is a flattop with valve reliefs and will give you around 10:1. keith black makes sets of hyper pistons with domes also. can get you up into the 11 or 12:1 range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any creative suggestions in aftermarket heads in order to use the Forged pistons I have and still accomplish 10 to 1 compression?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
237 Posts
you could try powerheads, they are listed somewhere in the archives, just do a search. They sell stock heads but they have been fully cnc ported and polished with larger valves from what i remember. they have the same year heads as yours with the small combustion chambers. should perform at the same level as several aftermarket out of the box heads and out perform some. i dont know what the valve relief size is in your piston or how big your cam is, so valve to piston clearance might be a prob.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Try the hipo 289 TRW flat tops. I don't remember the part number but those will make 10:1 with non-hipo heads of around 53 cc's. If you start with some 58 cc heads and shave them .030 and deck the block a little that would get you 10 or better. If you run larger valves like 1.94's and over .500 lift you will most likely have to have the eyebrows re-radiused larger or you will get a touch on the intakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts