Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ford brethren, I've got a 289 in my '67 Fairlane that I'm about to rebuild and I need advice from the guys that have been there and done it. It's not that I'm ignorant when it comes to engine mechanics, it's just that there are too many people that aren't giving me good advice. I want a screamer with as much power as I can get, (don't we all?), but Im not lookin to get a high mantinence engine or anything ridiculous. It's my daily driver and I like to show it off now and again. So what are some ways I can approach this rebuild to maximise my power output and efficiency without straining the engine and still retain proper street manners?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would say stroke it...Max power from a 289 means high rpms..If you stroke it to a 347 you can make the same power with a milder build and keep the rpms down some compared to the 289..Top it off with some good aftermarket heads and you can make great power..

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm still running a 289(.030 over). To get the power I wanted it became a non-streetable situation. It is much like a Nascar engine. They may wind out to the moon but they have to smoke the tires to take off from the pits to keep from killing the engine because they make so little power down low.

The most streetable, decent running 289 I have built was a Performer RPM package with ported early 302 heads(1.94/1.60 valves) and tri-y header 2.5" exhaust. I think I was running 26 x 9 inch wide slicks. It ran a best 13.31 second et on the strip at 102(I think). It needed 4.10 gears and a 3000 stall converter. It would have been a bit easier on the street with a 4 or 5 speed. That is about as best screaming/streetable/low maintenance as you are going to get I think and stay with a 289.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.