Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a good replacement I-Beam rod for a 289? 5.155" length. Seems the 5.09" 302 rods are common...but I can only find H-Beams for 500$+ in the 289 length =/.

Any help would be great!

Cris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't know of anyone that sells them, but how much power are you looking at making? A good polish of the rods and some ARP bolts will help them out a lot.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If scat or Eagle doesnt have them then your gonna have to find a factory set. 500 for new H beam rods isnt to too bad if your gonna build a high rpm 289. It would probably cost that much tobuy, rebuild, resize, bush and shot peen a stock rod with arp 2000 bolts.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's the point =/. But this motor's sort of an 'experiment' and also 'temporary'. If I end up spending 500$ on rods, I'm just going to build the 347 and be done. I know the stock rods will hold a lot of power, but to have the new rod bolts pressed in, then have the big ends resized will cost me nearly as much as the capscrew scat 347 rods as well lol. Was hoping to find a set of rods like the Scat 302 replacement ones. Ahh well, maybe an early 302 crank will fall into my lap and I'll ditch the 289 idea. Pistons and rods will cost the same that way, and the motor will make a bit more torque. Power should be in the 450+ area at a pretty elevated rpm...even as high as 7k with the parts I've chosen...as they're optimized for the relatively high rpm 347 later.

Thanks for the responses guys =).

Cris

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The 289 rods in my 289 headed engine withstand repeated 7k abuse with 200hp nitrous shots. They are also hooked to a stock crank. With good ARP pro series bolts and good machine work, they can take a a surprising amount of abuse... and they are lightweight.

But, I've seen the cheap, Chinese rods in 5.155" length.... so keep looking, locating them should not be a problem if you think you need them.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I know you said I beams, but you can get H beam rods cheaper than $500.

Here is a link to egay with a set of H's for $310 with about $20 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-FORD-5-155-289-4340-H-BEAM-RODS-MUSTANG-TMD_W0QQitemZ180026042725QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/11/06 8:22pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The rods in the link that Dennis gave are the same rods that I bought for my 289 a few years back. The machine shop that put the engine together said the rods looked good, and it's been up to 7400rpm more times than I can count, with a couple dozen of those being trips down the quarter mile... and also the engine has probably over 10,000 miles on it. I think they are good rods, especially for the money.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm probably going to just have these rods refit with ARP bolts, and call it good. If I'm gonna spend 300$ for rods, I'd be better off steering towards my end result, than building this motor I think.

Thanks a ton for the help though guys =).

Cris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts