Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 289 that came in a 63 Fairlane. the motor needs a rebuild. I want around 340 hp. can it be done with with factory heads. they have been ported, have screw in studs, and guides already. can I reach my goal with factory heads or am i better off just building a mild 302. I am tryin to keep to a budget of 1000 or less. any help would be great!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes it can be done with the factory heads if they've got a decent port job..Its gonna be tough with only a $1000 or less dollar budget though....There's not much difference between the 289 and 302 so just stick with what you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor runs well cosidering it smokes. Its got 10 to 1 flat tops already. The cam was very wild when it was installed 20 plus years ago. The seller made some reference about it bein a Comp 303?? It starts makin power around 3 grand and pulls hard all the till the points start fallin over around 5. with a cast crank what is my upper rpm limits?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I shifted my cast crank, aftermarket forged pistoned 289 at 7200. I shifted my 302's at 7000, this is not an uncommon shift point for a well built 289 motor. Mine were without the benefit of ARP bolts...just the 25+ (at the time) year old stock bolts.

For 1000$...keeping your stock heads.
I'd get a solid cam...282S is the largest, 274S would be good. (I would say solid roller but it would be hard to find one reasonably sized for your motor). 200$?
Spring kit for the cam. 75$
Scorpion Roller rockers. 150$
Stealth intake. 200$?
New rings and bearings. 200$ (GOOD quality here)

This is assuming your pistons are usable, your heads in good shape, etc. I also guestimated on pricing I didn't know...somewhat high I think. You could very well have some money left over to have Thumper port your heads (he's GOOD...no joke). I'll post his website below. All this being done, you could very well get up close to 400hp. With the stock (mildly ported) heads 340 is very reasonable...if you're willing to spin it! 7000rpm shifts are definitely in the cards.

www.thumperoforangepark.com

Good luck!

Cris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts