Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 65 falcon with a 289, weiand stealth intake, 700cfm double pumper holley, decent sized cam, aftermarket heads of some sort, headers, etc. Prior to yesterday morning she ran great! But i was getting on the freeway and i was around 5,000 rpm when i was about to put it in 4th and she backfired and continued to backfire until she lost all power, i down shifted to try to keep her running but the momentum was the only thing that kept her going until she died on the side of the road.

After getting her towed home i started tinkering trying to figure out what is wrong, i'm far from a mechanic but i started to go down the list of what could be wrong with her... She turns over but wont start

My dad suggested maybe the timing chain jumped, i got her to TDC and the distributor was still lined up with the #1 plug wire so timing seems to be correct

Shes getting fuel & carb was recently rebuilt by a great carb builder so that isn't really on my radar for being the culprit

I did a compression check but i cant start the motor to get it warmed up, all cylinders were from 85-90psi which seems very low but consistent throughout.

The plugs all look pretty decent, since i bought her 2 months ago there has always been some oil at the base of the plugs and my friend said there is oil getting passed the rings but it didn't look too bad

Any suggestions as to where i should start looking next?

Picture is kinda blurry but thats her

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you have good spark when cranking? The coil or ignition may have failed. I once had a Mallory Unilite crap out during cam break in and also dealt with a shorted coil that prevented the engine from starting.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
734 Posts
From your description I'd say the timing chain did indeed jump.

Pull the fuel pump and you can reach in there with a screwdriver or other tool and check the chain for slack.

Do you know the history of this engine?
Timing chain ever been replaced before?

If it's original chain and sprockets in there it would be VERY common for the chain to jump,
despite that you say #1 still lines up, that is not an accurate test.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the same thing happen to a Mustang I owned. It was the time chain and sprockets. That's a fine looking recovery tank.. I once had a hot water bottle on a car that I bought. Roger

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it's original chain and sprockets in there it would be VERY common for the chain to jump,
If he lined up the timing mark on the crank and got it to TDC then checked the distributor position and saw that it was on No 1 cylinder. Are you suggesting it could have jumped 180*?
Easy stuff first. He stated it is getting fuel. He says it cranks but won't start, lets check that it is getting spark before removing the front of the engine to examine the timing chain.

·
Registered
734 Posts
No need to remove the front of the engine.
Check chain slack thru the fuel pump opening.
Easier still, remove dist cap and turn crank by hand forwards and back.
How many degrees crank rotation does it have between moving the rotor each direction?

·
Registered
42 Posts
From your description I'd say the timing chain did indeed jump.

Pull the fuel pump and you can reach in there with a screwdriver or other tool and check the chain for slack.

Do you know the history of this engine?
Timing chain ever been replaced before?

No need to remove the front of the engine.
Check chain slack thru the fuel pump opening.
Easier still, remove dist cap and turn crank by hand forwards and back.
How many degrees crank rotation does it have between moving the rotor each direction?
Agree with GalaxieX. The way it quit and the universally low compression sound like a timing chain jump to me too. The distributor could still point somewhere near number 1 with jumped cam timing. Stripped timing sprockets can jump enough teeth that you can visibly see it but one tooth off can make it not run. Maybe you got lucky and didn't scramble the valves.

Easy stuff first. He stated it is getting fuel. He says it cranks but won't start, lets check that it is getting spark before removing the front of the engine to examine the timing chain.
Also agree with BlueBird to check the simple things first like whether you have spark. Even if you do have to go further and change the timing chain, you want to know what was working right before you take it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts