Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my delima:
I'm about two weeks away from embarking on an extesive resto/mod of my black 65. I'm expecting to spend $6K-$10K and about 1-2 years on it. I need to decide where my money would be best spent. I currently have a 289 w/ some goodies (about 325hp) and a t-5. I don't plan on racing it a lot and I want to keep it very streetable, but I would like some low 12s. I'm interested in a world class t-5 and I also love cornering. I could easily spend 2k on the front end and 1k on a rear end. I've read a lot about the 351w strokers, but I don't know if that would be $ well spent for my needs.
Should I stick with the 289 and go all out on suspension OR can I build a budget stroker and have both?
One more question: I need some rotessire stands. Where can I buy them/how much or are they easy to build?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lots of low end torque tends to be alot of fun on the street, a stroked 351W (or even a standard 351W) fits that bill nicely. One tip if you go with a 351W, use shorty headers(JBA, Hedman, Hooker) especially if you are going to lower the car. As for early Mustang suspension, the setup that I hope to get for my 65 coupe soon is: Maier Racing boxed upper and lower control arms, drop the upper control arm 1", Maier Racing rear "race" springs, Koni or Edelbrock shocks, Maier Racing subframe connectors and a Flaming River steering box. Global West and Total Control Products are the big names in early mustang suspension but the GW products are heavy and expensive while the TCP stuff is too adjustible for street use and really expensive. Maier's stuff gives you pretty good bang for the buck. www.maierracing.com
apologies for the long post.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Budget stroker? Me too. Let me know if you find one. Got about $4k in my 393 so far. So much for budget.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just put in a T5 and 3.80 gears with powertrack limited slip. I spent about $900 parts and labor to have the rear end put in. I had a C4 with like 2.8's gears no posie. I spent about 3,600 on the T5 and gears ect.. with labor. Takes alot of money to convert a auto to a Manel trans. My set up is a Stock 289 hi-po motor all stock, T5, 3.80 gears, and JBA headers. Before the T5 and gear swap my 0-60 time was like 6.4 now it is like 4.8 The two mods made a big difference. With about 300Hp.before the two mods i was getting 20mpg i should gain more more mpg since i got a manel.I live in Tx too by forthworth. If you want to know some ways to get more mpg out of a car let me know. I use to get 13-15 mpg and i changed some things and got it to 20. more hp too.

I have a 1967 Ford Mustang with a 289hi-po motor stock, Jba headers,
3.80 gears about 300hp putting in mods soon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: masterd on 1/17/02 9:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd be interested on some info on getting better mileage. My mild 289 with C4 averaged about 12 mpg combined. Driving like a maniac lowered that to about 10. Only put premium. I have an edelbrock 600 cfm carb, and I seem to remember it's running a stage lean. I've tried different rod and jet combos, toyed with the timing, but never got any substantial results. Any ideas??? And no, there isn't a leak in the fuel line

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah thecougarguy there are alot of ways. You can get 23mpg. Go to spiralmax.com. It cost $70 for me and i got like 20hp and 2 mpg better. You can add two intake hoses going from you grill to your carb. Will add like 20hp noproblem and 2 mpg. Put 1 spiral max in each hose and more horsepower. You can get a better distribler[dont know how to spell it] more horse power and better mpg. I been studying on this mpg for awhile. If you are interrested email me at [email protected] There are so many ways to get better mpg you can prob get 25mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts