Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem maybe some one can answer the ?.The car is a 1967mustang coupe with a 289. The motor Iam swaping is a 351w with a casting year of 1972 and as you know the water pump change from passenger side to the driver side. Can you put the earlier water pump on the later block. also will my stock hood clear the 396. The 396 is going to have a victor Jr intake and a 4150 model holley with a 3by14 air cleaner with a drop base.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, you can put the earlier water pump on the 72 block, but the timing pointer will be in the wrong side. Use your 289 front cover with the 289 water pump or a new 289 water pump of the old is tired.

I don't know about the hood clearance issue. A 351W is 3" taller overall (from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the engine). A Victor Jr. is pretty tall, but the drop base air cleaner will help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could always go with a new radiator with the bottom outlet on the other side and up grade to a three core while your at it, I did that with my 65 with a 78 351w.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I forgot to mention if you change to the early front cover you will need to make new timing marks on the damper or switch to the early damper, which also has three bolt holes vs. the four bolt holes on the '72 damper.

Switching radiators to the left side outlet is also a good alternative.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Vic Jr. will barely clear with a drop base air filter, a short air filter element (2.25" or less, no go with the 3&quot
and no spacer under the carb. I even had to remove the carb stud and wingnut. Replaced it with a bolt. It was that close. I now have a functional Boss 429 scoop, so clearance is not an issue.

Since you are asking about a Vic Jr. I assume you also have headers. The 289/302 headers will not work with the 351W. The ports on the heads are the same, but the 351W is both taller and wider than the 289, so if needs specfic headers to fit the car that clear the shock towers and the steering parts. Hooker and Hedman both make them. Ford Powertrain also.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/24/02 12:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay guys heres my combo
1972 351w block bored .040
eagle h beam rod 5.956
scat stroker crank 3.850
ported roush heads comp chamber to 59cc
victor Jr intake
mildon 8qt oil pan
msd distributor and 6al and lauch control box
4150 model 850dp
fluidamper dampner
keith black piston valve releif 6.5cc
c6 trans tci kited
cam not choosen yet or stall converter
roller rocker 1.6 to 1
6208 super comp headers can you just use a newer timing cover and a older water pump.

·
Registered
749 Posts
hey pink67:

sounds like a great combo.
where do you live you run at minots 1/8 or over at interstate dragway out of fargo/moorhead?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Pink I dont see why the water pumps and front covers wont swap or work together.

I have a 71 351w block a 289 front cover and an early 80's reverse rotaion water pump. I just plugged the hole for the dip stick tube in the early cover as the fox stang oil pan dip stick tube is what we are using.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
coolfalcon

I did get correct dist. Why cant you use the correct timing cover for the block and a early style passenger side water pump. Or what timing cover would it take to get it to work with out having to make marks on the balancer and what about the hood clearance ??????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pink67 on 3/25/02 10:22am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Not trying to peepee in anyones wheaties this morning, but I've got the 'old style' original number MSD distributor, and have run it on 3 different 351W variations, (all with either victor jr. and/or now, super victor intakes, and have NEVER had a clearance/setup problem/issue.........?

Must be lucky I guess............

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nice combo. Similar to my 408W in a 68 coupe. I personally have chosen a Griffin aluminum radiator and a late model water pump with driver side outlet. Got sick of my small block guyser and went overboard. Seems ole faithful would overheat at the drop of a hat.

Careful with serpentine or reverse direction pumps. Pump turns wrong direction for v belt combos.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you could do this:
with your engine at TDC.. make a mark on the damperwheel at the timing mark. This will be of course your "0" mark. Then use a timing light with an adjustable advance nob. I know this works because this a is exactly what I do. The mid 80's reverse rotaion water pump and it timing mark do not line up with the early 70's 351 damper wheel timing marks.

The hood clearance question will have to be answered by someone else.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The answer to you water pump question is yes. We were just qualifying it with all the hypotheticals. the pump will bolt up fine, as long as your 72 block uses the old timing cover, you should have no issues.

As far as your clearance issue, I will know the answer when I drop my 408W in my '68. The 67 and 68 are basically identical. I am using engine swap headers to clear my PS and if the air cleaner interferes with the hood, well there's always aftermarket scoops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts