Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my way to work i was heavy on the throttle having some fun, gunning her here and there. those flowmaster make her sound so goood.
but then as i was downshifting her to first i heard from the exhaust a loud crackling type of back fire. not out of the ordinary but first i heard it from my fairlane. at first i thought i made her jump time.

then i noticed she was running better, more pep in her step. throttle response was good, she peared like a kitten. when i parked her at work i gave my fairlanes original stock 289 a one over while running. the idle was different, it was lower.

after work on the way home she drove great better then ever.

its like my 289 sort of timed itself better to its liking lol

or i blew the motor lol

anybody got any ideas?

thanks

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Engine always run's best just before she blows.... (Old wives tale... or husbands tale in this case)

What could it be.... Maybe you simply sucked some schitt out of your metering orifices and it's now getting all the fuel it wants when it wants it and this is how it should have been running the whole time!

Or maybe you've hit a tree after spinning out of control after you goosed it and the throttle stuck and are dead and this is all in your head....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine always run's best just before she blows.... (Old wives tale... or husbands tale in this case)

What could it be.... Maybe you simply sucked some schitt out of your metering orifices and it's now getting all the fuel it wants when it wants it and this is how it should have been running the whole time!

Or maybe you've hit a tree after spinning out of control after you goosed it and the throttle stuck and are dead and this is all in your head....
i have this suspicious feeling you're making fun of me :cry:

hey random, but i read about a old school way of cleaning out your old engine of gunk by poring some seafoam into your vacuum line? is this true? sounds disastrous

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The old mechanic's tale I have heard is to slowly pour water in the carburator with the engine running. Turns to steam and blasts all the carbon out of the combustion chambers.

Whatever that mysterious thing was that happened may not be permanent so it would be beneficial to find out what that was if possible. I vote for something finally dislodging and going through the carb.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
.Both will remove a little carbon but you DO NOT EVER need to do that...

It takes a nasty tuned engine running rich for 15 minuted a day for 10 years in a row to carbon up your pistons enough to need to do anything drastic like that.

I've had hundreds of engines apart and never had to bother with carboned up insides unless they've been running rich or sucking oil.

So don't worry about that old tale or even trying that, it's totally unnecessary 97% of the time.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
cleaning out your old engine of gunk by poring some seafoam into your vacuum line? is this true? sounds disastrous
Seafoam is good stuff. You can add it to your fuel, oil, or air (vacuum). I dumped some in an air tube on my GF's Nissan 300ZX to loosen up a sticking idle air control valve. Filled the whole street up with white smoke for about 15 minutes. Soo some time later I dumped some in her gas tank. Same result, thick cloud of white smoke everywhere she drove. LOL, boy was she pi$$ed!

Decades ago used to do the water down the carb thing, too. It does clean the cylinders and piston tops but ruins the spark plugs.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey FE, my fairlane does run rich. its a rebuilt 2bl and either my father, me nor my mechanic can get it to lean out. hmm oh well time will tell i guess. thanks guys

hey, running sea foam in the oil before an oil change. would it do anything for a bad or stuck valve guide? my dads 289 in his truck burns some oil. our mechanic says bad valve guide. hes been running lucis oil treatment which helps. thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts