Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everybody, nice site,i'am reviving my 67 fastback ,all the rust is gone and its getting ready for paint. my problem is the old 289 is tired,I have a5.0 from a 93 mustang gt i would like use with my c4 tranny what do i need to change, flexplate? I will be using a carb. &electric fuel pump. any HELP from someone who has done this woul be a great help THANKS

·
Registered
123 Posts
V belts? 67 water pump?
You'll need a $60 TCI flywheel from summit, vintage oilpan, dipstick and pickup. Plug the emissions holes in the heads. Plug dipstick hole in block with 1/8" freeze plug. Duraspark dizzy from 85 5spd GT autozone $55 with steel gear for roller cam. Drill 5.0 timing cover for dipstick. There are other things, this is 99% of it.
HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks retrofiveoh. can i use the stock v belts with power steering and ac and stock water pump . ponyman

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
You can if you put an old style front timing cover on. You will need the old style water pump and pulleys too. If you do that and use the front mounted dipstick make sure to plug the hole on the divers side of the block for the dipstick or else you will get a big oil leak.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hey Ponyman, what state are you in?
I am looking for an old 289 to pop in my Falcon some day, and maybe you could donate yours to a good cause... ME!

FE

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-05-25 06:50, a4278v wrote:
rember to use the 5.0 vibration damper!
No...use Summits 5.0 dampner, it's 3-bolt to fit the vintage pulleys and is only $70, which beats the fortune that Mustang shops want for parts like ths.

You'll need to use the 289 timing cover, waterpump, accessories, brackets, pullies, oilpump oilpan and dipstick. Fuel pump too.

'66 Mustang Coupe 289/spd=>5.0 & T5..in progress, going on the road stock for now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retroFiveOH on 5/26/06 1:40am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have just completed this swap using a 95 motor and dropping it in my 66 coupe with a c4 auto. If you have questions feel free to email me.

Now:

YOu will need off the old motor:
dist
oil pan
oil pick up
intake
carb
vavle covers
timing cover
eccentric gear
water pump
fuel pump
fan
odds and ends

you will need to purchase
seals
147 tooth flex plate with a 10.5 bolt pattern 50 oz ( I think that is the right weight, I can double check)
balancer for newer 302 but has a old 289 bolt patter.
dist steal gear for the roller cam.

If you need more info let me know. I also have pics and can give you a step by step on how I did things. If I can do you can.

Richard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts