Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie and I'm going to be starting up my 289 soon. I still figuring out how the ignition wiring works and things like that.

I'm aware of three vacuum connections I need to make:

1. Power brakes
2. PCV
3. Distributer

All of these are coming from the carb and not from the manifold.

Are there any others I don't know about?

thanks

George

ps...I'm using a Performer carb and manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
make sure to put your distributor vacuum connection on the timed vacuum port. You should invest in a repair manual for your car although it deals with stock engines it helps with technical stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you have an AC setup, all of the options are engine-vacuum controlled. There should be a single line into the cabin for that purpose.

If no AC, you have PCV, advance, and brakes, yes. If you have an auto transmission, you'll also have a line to the modulator on the transmission.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...thanks....I'll be starting the engine on my engine cart modified to hold the radiator. So I'll won't initially be running vacuum to the brake booster. The tranny won't be attached so I won't have to worry about that yet and I've got no AC yet...soooo I've got only the distributer and the PCV...

thanks all

g

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
On 2006-11-21 00:36, 1965Comet wrote:
Is timed vacuum from the carb or manifold? I'm a steep learning curve so I'll be asking very basic questions like this.

thanks

g
Timed vacuum would be NO vacuum at idle from the carb. Most likely its above the base plate on the carb.
Tim

·
Registered
502 Posts
there is usually a port in the upper side of the front metering block that is correct for the dist vacuum. port must be get vacuum from above the throttle blades.

i think all other vacuum devices use manifold vacuum and can come from the intake or a port on the carb getting vacuum from below the blades.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 11/22/06 12:47am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts