Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the ford-motor world. I think I read something that suggested to me that the firing order in 289-302's was different from the 351W. Is this true? Is one better than the other? Are most small block ford parts from 289-351 interchangeable? I have a 289 thats prety much stock and am wondering what are some good, modest performance increases.

I just got the motor in a 64 falcon and am considering going through it from the inside out. I don't have too much money so I don't want to go all out with aftermarket stuff. If I do any cylinder work would I be able to re-use the old pistons with new rings, bearings stc? Or would they have to be replaced with a bigger bore size, what would I need? I'm a college student on a budget you see.

I had in mind some port work on the stock heads, maybe valves? Don't know much about ford valve types/sizes. Also a cam, aluminum intake, mild cam and better flowing exhaust. I would rather steer clear of headers, does ford make any manifolds that flow well? On my Chevy's I used corvette ramhorns and am wondering if there is anything similar made for fords.

Whew! I have a c-4 behind the 289. I've never really messed with the inside of a tranny before but have read some on this site about H and R servos, clutches, bands and shift kits. I'm not really building too much HP or torque here, at least not yet, so I'll be happy with the minimum. What do you guys think I should do here?
As far as rear end, well I have no idea what the hell is back there? what did they put in 64 falcon's? It had a 260 originally.

Well, i guess thats it for now. I'm not diving into this all at once. i figured to work steady and slow on the engine-tranny-drivetrain for a while. Then suspension, then body, then interior.

Alright, thanks in advance,

J

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welcome to the fold. Here is a tip - keep the questions focused and you will probably get better response. This is a great board, but your questions are soooo broad ranging they discourage responses.
Another tip - read this website from front to back. The archives are full of articles that will answer most of your questions. Use the search function. Lots of stuff here for you. There is a head flow comparison and a head porting article that will inform big time.
The C4 thread basically answers another question, that is a well rebuilt C4 will stand up to modest-power levels. If you warm up your 289 a bit, you won't dent a rebuilt, shift-kitted C4.
I will try on some of the stuff. 289s are notorious for poor breathing heads. Depending on the year, the heads may be poor or terrible. Once the smog thing hit, a thermactor bump was put into the exhaust port and exhaust flow is terrible. Learning how to port the heads yourself is major league cheap hp. Warm up the cam, open up the heads, add an aftermarket intake and use headers (even hipo manifolds don't flow much) make sure you have a decent compression ratio like 9.5:1 or so (some of the smog 289s had really low crs) and the thing should run well. Don't be afraid to call the vendors and ask questions. CompCams for instance will give recommendations on cam choices for a warmed up 289 for your car, torque convertor, gears and such.
You are probably not going to be able to use the stock pistons as most any 289 probably has a zillion miles on it and significant bore wear. The vast majority require a .030" overbore and pistons. Pistons are only $200 or so and that way you can assure a decent compression ratio and a quality bore finish and ring seal.
For rear-ends, most small early 60's Fords came with 8" removable center section rear-ends featuring 3.00:1 gears and an open carrier (one-wheel drive). See the 9" article on the site, it touches on 8" diffs too. The 8" rears can be beefed to handle 400 hp or so. See the project 11.99 article. And again check the archives. Lots of folks have posted that better ratio 8" center sections aren't that tough to find in junk yards under Pintos, Bobcats, Mustang IIs and the like.
Read up and good luck.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The HO 302 and 351w have a better fireing order. The early 302, 289 fireing order has 1 and 3 go right after each other. this loads the front main. So when you get a new cam, just order one for a 351w. Remember to change the plug wires to the new order when you install it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
dragman 64, I think you got that wrong in regards to firing order. Early 289, 302 have 15426378 firing order. This loads up the frt. mains like you say by firing cyl. 1 and 5 respectively. 302 HO (5.0L) and 351W have 13726548 which is better as it distributes the loads during combustion more evenly in regards to main brg. loads.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
First of all the 351 and newer 5.0 have a different firing order than your 289 0r an older 302.It was changed to supposedly put less stress on the engine but it really just comes down to matching your firing order with your camshaft as the cam will interchange between a 351 and a 289.I think your on the right track with mods intake,cam,port the heads especially the exhaust,bigger valves will help.If your 289 is still original it probably needs a rebore and new pistons but you could have the piston clearance checked or do a leakdown or compression test if its still together.One thing I disagree with is not using headers the little fords need all the help they can get in the exhaust department unlike the chevys your used to.I'm not an expert on c-4s but I do know they're good trannys and can be built to handle lots of hp.Your Falcon should have the 8 inch rear end which is very underrated and should be able to handle anything your 289 can dish out.There aren't that many parts that will interchange between the 351 and the 289 even though the are basically the same style engine.Heads and cams are about the biggest things I can think of,trannies will interchange as will exhaust manifolds.Good luck with the Falcon I think you'll like it

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good call Cman. I ment 5 instead of 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts