Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this on the Fairlane fourm but I wanted to put it here too..

I have a 289 with low mileage compression is great cylinders are great burn no oil but needs crankshaft turned. I took the crankshaft out of the 289 and took it to have it turned they said (and I saw) that the front main would not beable to be turned. So they gave me a crankshaft from a 302. My question is Is this going to work?
I think the 302 has a 1/8 inch longer stroke then the 289. Is this going to mess up the upper part of the engine? Or is it going to be ok? Or should I find a 289 crankshaft and put it in.
Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
991 Posts
289 crank is 2.870 302 is 3.0 289 rod is 5.1550 302 rod is 5.090 but both have same copression height on piston. So no, just droppin the crank in is not gonna work.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Technically it has more issues than a 1-to-1 swap. But all those problems are easily addressed by the machine shop for little more than a regular rebuild.

If you just want a 289, then look for a crank, but as far as the stroke increase causing problem - it's just not an issue. 289's and 302 have been converted backwards and forward for years.

Cheap as stroker kits are now, might as well turn it into a 331. They use the same block with only a little clearencing...but that is only required down at the bottom of the bore and a little on the oil pan rail. The cam, upper engine is safe.

I don't know how deep you wanted to go into the engine, but if you are changing pistons, doing the whole 9 yards is just a few dollars more.

If this supposed to be a re-ring and bearing freshening... then it might be worth the time to look for a 289 crank. most of the ime the rods need to be reconditioned...as I said, there are no real suprises or much in the way of extra money that you weren't probably going to spend any way.

Flip a coin?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Take the 302 crank back and tell the shop you want a 289 crank. To use the 302 crank the minimum you will need is 302 rods but it isn't really cost effective to have your good 289 pistons pressed off the old rods and pressed on to some 302 rods. The pistons might not survive all the pressing on and off.Just some input from an old guy.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm with Just Jim on this one.Unless you want to do a full on rebuild I'd stick with the 289 crank.If your going to do a full rebuild then I would consider the 302 crank.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
289/302 pistons are the same, but the rods are different. 302 crank won't change that easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts