Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this on question out on other Ford Muscle fourms but I nee answers because I'm ready to put it together.
Thanks

I have a 289 with low mileage compression is great cylinders are great burn no oil but needs crankshaft turned. I took the crankshaft out of the 289 and took it to have it turned they said (and I saw) that the front main would not beable to be turned. So they gave me a crankshaft from a 302. My question is Is this going to work?
I think the 302 has a 1/8 inch longer stroke then the 289. Is this going to mess up the upper part of the engine? Or is it going to be ok? Or should I find a 289 crankshaft and put it in.

Pistons and rings we new not many miles ago the guy just put in the old crankshaft without truning it.

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Yes the 302 crank will work...but you'll also need 302 rods, which are slightly shorter than the 289/boss 302 rods. Pistons are the same between 302 and 289.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Brett, Go ahead and put the 302 crank and rods in it for the extra cubes! Don't forget to make sure you check the 28 or 50oz. balance if you make the change.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-06-28 19:33, latamud wrote:
Or you could find boss 302 pistons.
Yep that'd work...if you were going to use cleveland heads. Valve reliefs are totally wrong for windsor style heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts