Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I got a weird situation with my C4 in my mustang. So first of all the transmission has a TCI full manuel valve body with a forward shift pattern. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd I have to almost be WOT in 2 for it to shift into third, and when it does shift into third it slips a little bit. I got the tranny from a good friend of mine that had it rebuilt with new clutches and the TCI valve body, it has a HUGHES 3,000 stall convertor in it.

Also when I was driving in third for like 5-10 mins, the tranny started braking the motor, so i stopped and pulled over and then the tranny wouldn't go into 1st 2nd or 3rd, the only gear that it would go into is reverse. I don't know if this issue could be related with the 2nd to 3rd issue, but this is driving me nuts i thought this would be a bulletproof tranny with my little E cam 302.

Any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
If it works ok sometimes ,does sound like valvebody related . Maybe try a known good V.B see if anything changes

So you're saying with that manual V.B , going along in 2nd and light throttle and you shift to 3, nothing happens unless you are WOT??

If so there's a VB issue there . A manual V.B should shift regardless of throttle position

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it works ok sometimes ,does sound like valvebody related . Maybe try a known good V.B see if anything changes

So you're saying with that manual V.B , going along in 2nd and light throttle and you shift to 3, nothing happens unless you are WOT??

If so there's a VB issue there . A manual V.B should shift regardless of throttle position
Thats what i figured... also if i leave in third from a standstill its not in third i think its in first gear... do you think maybe the valve body was installed incorrectly?.. cause i believe the tranny needs to be modified for that valve body to work properly

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
+1 on likely VB issues. By your description, my first hunch is that the VB is not what your buddy or you think it is. IIRC, TCI only makes reverse-pattern versions. If you can verify it's a TCI unit, then give them a call before moving on, but I have a sneaky feeling it's not. TCI instructions are here. If it were me, I'd pull the VB looking for obvious signs (junk, improperly torqued, damaged gasket, loose spools, etc). I would use a big clean table, go slow, and take lots of pics so I know where everything goes back.

David

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Possibly a valve body leak-either between the halves or between the VB and the case. Either one will cause "braking" in 2nd and/or direct. Ours usually smoked the band and/or the forward clutch pack. Have also seen the spring break for forward clutch pack, causes similar issues. No forward gears and have had one of my own home-builds tried to lock in direct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had the same breaking engine issue with my C4 and then lost all forward gears. I still have reverse.
Mine is a transbraked box if that makes any difference.
Car has made 475rwkw from a turbo RB30DET but the box was built for more power than im making.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts