Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 351C shortblock for my 70 Mustang daily driver. I have a 347 stroker in it right now with a single plane intake, stock ported heads, and a 600 cfm holley 4160 (for good gas milage). My question is which heads should I find for the cleveland? 2v, 4v, or aussie 2v closed chamber? I already have no low end torque with the single plane intake and I've been comfortable driving it for years with A/C, power steering, the works. Would I lose even more low end torque going with 4v heads? Since I'm already used to feathering the gas to start, I'd like to get the most power I can without being rediculously boggy on the street. I'm planning on using a single plane intake on the cleveland as well.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Since you have no heads now, I'd look for aussie heads if on limited budget (and who isn't). If money was no object, maybe some aluminum heads from Ford motor sports???

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, try to get the 2V heads with the bigger valve option. That will be the easiest to find, and cheapest out of your options. Actually, the 2V heads with the smaller valves will be the easiest to find, and you can upgrade the vavles. The 4V heads are too big for the street from what I've heard. The Aussie heads are also very nice. However since you're on a limited budget, go with the 2V small valve heads.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I have the 4v open chamber heads in my torino, and I dont have any problems with driving on the street, its my daily driver to and from school and work and sure it isn't *awesome* low end, but its not shabby at all.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The gears you have in the rear might (ought to) be part of the thinking.

If you are geared a little on the low side the 4V heads would work out fine ... You will clearly be able to get the "most power" out of 4V heads ... It will just be further up in the RPMs.

I have a super 4V motor in my Mach1 right now. Desk Top Dyno estimates over 500HP and 479 ft lb torque, the thing is very streetable (and a ton of fun BTW) with 4 speed and 4.11:1 gears ... Obviously, not a cross country touring car.

I am also building an Aussie 2V motor for the same car. The Aussie 2V motor won't generate the same HP as the 4V, but will generate the same Torque numbers and do it a lot lower in the RPM band.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking that those aussie heads sound pretty good. You get high velocity and a good combustion chamber to boot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't a 600 cfm carb help the low end torque a little as well as opposed to a bigger carb?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Aussie 2V heads ... You'll be over 11:1 on compression and will require 92/91 octane "pump premium" fuel, as long as you know that up front you'll be fine.

The smaller ports/valves proper cam selection and dual plane intake ... you can have this thing pulling real well for you and all the power will be where you can use it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thing is that the seller of this block said it is a 2V shortblock...does that make any sense? I figured you could bolt up either type of head to it and there would be no problems. Is there really a difference between 2V and 4V blocks? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm a Cleveland novice.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I think you can safely assume that he means it's a 2 bolt main cap block (4 bolt blocks were only used on 4V engines) ... which is not a big deal (not a problem).

A 2 bolt Cleveland block is just fine for about any build you want to do, 4 bolt is a little stronger, but probably increases "prestige" more than it increases acutal strenth of your build.

Not to worry ... go ahead with the build

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/10/02 6:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have read on the internet (and we all know how unrliable it can be) that Jack Roush said there is no differance in strength between the two.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have 3 Cleveland 4V's that are completely original, out of the original cars, and they have 2 bolt blocks!

Some were 2 bolt, some were 4 bolt....but like MontserMach said, either one will hold up to more that you can throw at it.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Correct ... Not all 4V engines had 4 bolt mains ... but unless you find a "Freak" no factory Ford 2V engine was 4 bolt ... as far as I know

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Dont worry about it. I am sure for your purposes the 2 bolt main will suffice. I have seen the 4 bolt blocks go for a MUCH higher price than compareable 2 bolt blocks

Jeff Given

1 - 15 of 15 Posts