Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would yall consider to be better for a street/strip car/truck. The lower powerband of the 2v or the all out power of the 4v? And Im not speaking of street like gridlock traffic, im refering to street as in smaller town traffic.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Which would yall consider to be better for a street/strip car/truck. The lower powerband of the 2v or the all out power of the 4v? And Im not speaking of street like gridlock traffic, im refering to street as in smaller town traffic.
not a lot of info on what you want .

to get both , a 2V on bank other bank a 4V

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a lot of info on what you want .

to get both , a 2V on bank other bank a 4V
I personaly dont want anything i perfer the 4v myself. The way i see it, if your gonna get a 2v might as well get a windsor.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I personaly dont want anything i perfer the 4v myself. The way i see it, if your gonna get a 2v might as well get a windsor.
If the engine is built properly the 4V gives nothing to a 2v, I had a 4v in a 1969 mustang that would spin the tires off from a idle . At the strip with a set of slicks it run 12,82 at 108 mph. This was not a race car by any means and was happy up town.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a 73 Mach I with a stock 4V C in it. Swapped to a set of 2V heads just too see what would happen. The only differance seened to be when it hit about 6000 RPM the 4V heads seened to start pulling harder. The valves would float about 6300 in either case. Low end the 2Vs might have pulled better. Both were 4 bbl intakes the only other differance.

Later ported the 2 V heads they ran great. Sold the car with 4V heads and later put them on my 78 400 F150 4x4. Great on the truck with a high speed towing cam. Had the 4V vales in it by then. Low end was down a bit compaired to another set of 2V heads installed later when the seats sunk on 4 exh valves. I installed the 4V valves in the heads and pocket ported them (instead of full port). Changed nothing else you coul feel the differarance in low end improvement. Top end suffered just a bit.

If anyone is interested I have a set of open chamber forged .030 over pistons 12.5 compression for a C motor

·
Registered
674 Posts
Canted valve heads move the valve away from the cylinder wall thusly not shrouding the air flow as much as the in line design. A couple of the best engines I did were Clev 2V heads on a W or a 302.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
2V for the street is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Canted valve heads move the valve away from the cylinder wall thusly not shrouding the air flow as much as the in line design. A couple of the best engines I did were Clev 2V heads on a W or a 302.
I bet that 302 would scream. I always figured a set of 4vc on the 302 (same heads as boss302) would just be too high winding, never thought about the 2v heads though. So those canted valves makes alot of difference? I know it was a better design just not how much better.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I bet that 302 would scream. I always figured a set of 4vc on the 302 (same heads as boss302) would just be too high winding, never thought about the 2v heads though. So those canted valves makes alot of difference? I know it was a better design just not how much better.
you know!!!????????

then you don't know the Yates head replaced the canted valve - Ford's SVO race heads
then , and then and

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
IMHO, you run 2v heads until you can get your hands on a good set of closed chamber 4v heads or aftermarket aluminums. The 2v heads will perform, but definitely not to the level that the 4v heads will.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know!!!????????

then you don't know the Yates head replaced the canted valve - Ford's SVO race heads
then , and then and
well ill be damn, I honestly didnt know that. well ill rephrase my previous statement since you obviously have more experience/knowledge than me (Not being sarcastic). I 'thought' that the canted valves were a better design. lol

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
well ill be damn, I honestly didnt know that. well ill rephrase my previous statement since you obviously have more experience/knowledge than me (Not being sarcastic). I 'thought' that the canted valves were a better design. lol
the valve angles are just part of what makes a good head .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol like i said im here to learn, i am at yalls mercy....just take it easy lol im young and learning everything myself.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Lol like i said im here to learn, i am at yalls mercy....just take it easy lol im young and learning everything myself.
The 2v heads are "better" on the street because they are able to maintain a higher port velocity at lower RPMs but tend to hit their limits around the 6500 RPM mark in stock form. The 4v heads on the other hand have poor port velocity at lower RPMs because the ports are just so big, however, at higher RPMs (4000+) they really come alive.

The sluggish nature of the 4v heads can be somewhat overcome by higher compression or more cubes (or both). The reason that the port stuffers were made for the 4v heads was to reduce the cross sectional profile of the intake ports and increase port velocity, this is really just a crutch for people that don't know the operating range of their motor or a mismatched engine build.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts