Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a guy is selling a 3.8 supercharged thunderbird engine. Says low miles, but should i buy this and rebuild it, or build a 302? For my new 67 project car? (allready have a mexican 302 block) Which will i be able to get more HP out of? How hard would it be to swap the supercharger onto a 302?
Also, the 67 was factory a 6 cylinder engine, does this have a 8in or a 7.5? what about 6 cylinder 66 mustangs?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Go with the V8. 3.8's are notorious for headgasket problems and parts for the supercharger are getting really hard to find. Dollar for dollar, you'll get twice the horsepower from the V8.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i thought that the factory 6 cyl was an I block and the new 3.8 are V, not sure why i said this, but......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm guessing that since your project car is
a '67, then you want it to sound like a muscle car. I don't think you would be satisfied with the sound of the 3.8L.

"There is no substitue for cubic inches"

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Oh, man. The little v6 would sound like a pissed off rice-burner! It would be cool, though to have a really quick v-6 powered car. Would really surprise a lot of folks. There was a s-10 at the digs the other day that had the meanest sounding v6 I ever heard..couldnt tell if it was a 6 or 8 by the sound of the idle. Once he stepped on it, it was a dead giveaway, though....still ran 7.1's in the 1/8 though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts