Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a bit of a vibration , so decided to get my styled steel wheels balanced. The repo 66 rims are said to be lug centric balance , bot noticing that there where no outer weights on any made me wonder. Anyways the shop that installed the tires thought they would give it a go. They tried one lug and it started to turn, then that was it. Tried another ...no go. The first one was actually hot. They stopped and I too the car home and with a hand wheel lug tool broke off three. This is strange . Now these are 1966 mustang front disc brakes. The rotors are not that old and why the nuts broke....? Poor quality or is it a heat cycle thing. Found some rotors local for $1.11 each Is that a good price. I really don't think I cross threaded them. :frown:..... Any suggestions:)

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
$1.11 for a new rotor is a good price.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
$1.11 for a new rotor is a good price.
+1. LOL

I bought my rotors from Advance Auto a few years ago and have had zero issues with them. I always use a torque wrench set to 100'lbs when final tightening.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You can buy those rotors much cheaper. Where are you Europe? Just replace the broken lugs.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I am in Vancouver Canada. I have lot's of choices here and I did just pound the broken studs. Not sure where to get them but I will look around.

Thanks

Greg

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
No I am in Vancouver Canada. I have lot's of choices here and I did just pound the broken studs. Not sure where to get them but I will look around.

Thanks

Greg
try any parts store or replace with longer race type studs and new lugs . long type can be shorten

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after a long process of elimination I realized that I never touched the lugs , itw as the front end shop that had done the work last year. Mmmmm. They might have been put on wrong with the impact gun which I do not use. I have always gone with finger tight and then I have used the wrench by hand. Anyways the rotors need to be turned and while I am there I may as well change the bearings and seals ....so I have new rotors coming...

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up new rotors , bearings, seals, and wheel bearing grease. Now after I pack the wheel bearings I have to install the bearings and seals. I read that you have to seat the bearings at torquing them at 17-25lbs then loosening them and torquing them to 10-15lbs. Does this sound correct. Then install the cap and cotter pin..

Greg

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Picked up new rotors , bearings, seals, and wheel bearing grease. Now after I pack the wheel bearings I have to install the bearings and seals. I read that you have to seat the bearings at torquing them at 17-25lbs then loosening them and torquing them to 10-15lbs. Does this sound correct. Then install the cap and cotter pin..

Greg
Close. What does your Ford Service Manual say?
;)
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts