Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 64 Fairlane 500 4 door with a 3speed manual trans and a 260 engine thats in excellent shape. I am a true novice and have no clue when it comes to knowing what mods makes sense in this case. I will use the car mostly for in town short trip driving so I thought changing to a C4 would be practical. Then again I really would like a bigger engine so I thought a 302 with a T5 would be fun. I really don't want a monumental project so an engine or tranny swap would have to be fairly straight forward. oh, and the rear end is set up for the highway so I guess I need to re-gear that. Any suggestions or directions you could give me would be really appreciated. I love this Rangoon Red Princess and will be driving it to my 50th high school reunion in 2014.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Why (exactly) don't you want to keep the 250/3-speed combo?

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why (exactly) don't you want to keep the 250/3-speed combo?

David
I was thinking an automatic tranny would make better sense for all the stop and go traffiic where I live. And from the sound of things, the 3 speed might need a rebuilt soon. Also, I like the 260 but was hoping to get a little more horse power out of it than the stock set up. Any suggestions along those lines would be appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can do a 302 c4 upgrade in there, it should be an easy upgrade. I did a 351w with a c4 trans in my 64 but the 351w is a pain to get in.. With the c4 trans I put a b&m shifter in the center like a normal car and it works great

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Well, you have a ton of options, and your biggest issue is deciding which path is best for your driving style and circumstances. I will leave budget out at this time, unless it plays a large part in the choice.

You can go auto or manual, with or without overdrive. OD would be a factor if doing much highway travel, where comfort and mileage are a concern. Yes or no?

With either direction, you have to finalize a choice of auto or manual. That is entirely a personal choice. You'll probably only do this swap once, so which is it?

All the other questions of engine, gearing, and swap considerations come after identifying the transmission. Let's nail that down.

David

·
Registered
734 Posts
well man all youre talking about is monumental when you dont want monumental. 260s are great engines. in short they are 289s. which i love. 302s stock are way to luggy for me. even bult im not impressed. (just my opinion)

i say keep your 260, and build it up. top end bottum end or both. what ever your budget is. your 3 speed is perfect for your short trips. build it up as well. and your gears? assuming u have a 8" get 3.55 i say. you can hit the freeway and cruise ok. but in town she will sound mean and RUN when u tell her too. for what u want u have a great set up.

the money u can spend on all your ideas u might do, will be way more $ and work; then just making better what u already have.

thats my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentleman, I really appreciate your input and direction. So, as recommended, I have made the decision to go first with the C4 auto tranny. Then do an up/down build on the 260. Then I'm not sure where that leaves me as far as the rear end or where I will even find a reasonably priced C4. Isn't the money factor what really determines what one does to their car?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I'm posting this because I don't know. But, Doesn't the 260 have a 5 bolt bellhousing? If so, he may be better off finding a newer engine with a 6 Bolt bellhousing. It will probably be easier to find a C4 and bellhousing that way.

Just a thought.

Jet

·
Registered
425 Posts
Jetfixr320 brings up a good point regarding the C4 swap, but there may be a bell housing and case combination that will work. In most cases, you're going to want to get a 1970 or up C4 as there is almost no parts support for some of the critical components in the earlier C4's like the valve body. (Side note: I do have an obsolete B & M shift kit for pre-68 C4's you can have if you do go that route.) Don't forget to change your radiator for one with a transmission cooler, even if you add an external cooler.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The choice of trans was the primary question due to the 5-bolt engine block. If wanting and OD auto, then the change to a later engine (5.0L or something) would be necessary. If the answer is C4, then the next question is optional - 260 or 302/5.0L? The 260 is a good engine, but obviously at a power disadvantage and about like a stout 6-cylinder. Adding parts will help, but the returns will be less with the limited displacement. So, the next question becomes:

How much additional power do you desire now, and may desire in the coming years? No need to drop money into the 260 when a 302 swap or all-out 347 would drop right in. This is where you need to start planning.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The choice of trans was the primary question due to the 5-bolt engine block. If wanting and OD auto, then the change to a later engine (5.0L or something) would be necessary. If the answer is C4, then the next question is optional - 260 or 302/5.0L? The 260 is a good engine, but obviously at a power disadvantage and about like a stout 6-cylinder. Adding parts will help, but the returns will be less with the limited displacement. So, the next question becomes:

How much additional power do you desire now, and may desire in the coming years? No need to drop money into the 260 when a 302 swap or all-out 347 would drop right in. This is where you need to start planning.

David
Thanks for the input. Of course now I'm going crazy with all the exciting possibilities. At this point I need to feel comfortable with the results of the upgrading of the steering, suspension and brakes on the car. After that phase, which should be concluded by the end of this month, I will then go with the biggest engine that the car (and me) can comfortably handle, probably a 302. Then what would be a logical tranny assuming an automatic? I don't care about overdrive.
California David

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I see a C4 in your future. If you upgrade to any power level in the future, the C4 can also be upgraded inexpensively to keep pace. The trans is an easy choice, but the bellhousing for it will again depend on whether you use the 5-bolt 260 or something else. BTW - in every 3-speed swap I've done, the trans X-member and drive shaft length (but not yoke) were the same as C4. Even the speedo gear type is the same.

David

·
Registered
734 Posts
anyone know if a 64 fairlane 3speed will fit well in a 67 fairlane c4? in a 289. hell ill swop him out straght trade lol. im sure the bell housing wont fit. anyone know? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts