Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking at taking a 289 and a 1986 302 and pulling the heads and the rotating assembly off 302 putting on 289 then placing in my ranger with the stock 5 speed that came in ranger. Plz tell what I’m probably going to mess up

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you're planning on installing the crank rods and pistons from the 302 into the 289 block without new pistons and boring the block, it's not a good idea. With the 289 having a shorter stroke than the 302 its likely you will have broken rings very quickly. The ring ridge will be in the incorrect location. Why do you want to use the 289 block?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you're planning on installing the crank rods and pistons from the 302 into the 289 block without new pistons and boring the block, it's not a good idea. With the 289 having a shorter stroke than the 302 its likely you will have broken rings very quickly. The ring ridge will be in the incorrect location. Why do you want to use the 289 block?
I wanna up the power of the 289 but not a lot so I don’t destroy my trans. The truck will be a daily. And the 289 has been setting for 30ish years in a cj5. Also I was going to try use rods of 289.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanna know if I put the heads of a 302, pistons and crank in a 289 what am I going to have to look out for like what’s not clear well. And what’s y’all opinions on using the 5 speed that’s meant for 4.0 v6 from the ranger if y’all think it would hold up

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are some funky things with cams and lifters to watch out for too. Not sure about flywheel and harmonic balancer. Wondering why not put the whole 289 or the whole 302. Is there something major wrong with either of them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 289 has been sitting for 30+ years but I have the bell housing for it and the 302 I just have history with that I don’t wanna use the block I may have broke it a little while pulling it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
289 was a crab setup with timing marks on pass side, along with WP inlet. 86 is EFI with all that stuff on the other side.
Since money is the deciding factor, use the 289 block, take the 302 crank, rods, get new .030"+ pistons and have it bored/honed for the new pistons, new rod/main/cam bearings, wont have to re-balance, valve job, and use the timing cover/WP/flywheel/damper, acc stuff form the 86 and live happily ever after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
289 was a crab setup with timing marks on pass side, along with WP inlet. 86 is EFI with all that stuff on the other side.
Since money is the deciding factor, use the 289 block, take the 302 crank, rods, get new .030"+ pistons and have it bored/honed for the new pistons, new rod/main/cam bearings, wont have to re-balance, valve job, and use the timing cover/WP/flywheel/damper, acc stuff form the 86 and live happily ever after.
Ok sounds good. Thank you

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't know if what your trying to do will work but usually the presser plate goes with the flywheel and the clutch disk goes with the transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts