Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. One 302 (1974 engine set up) whit OEM internals survive this abuse? What is the max pressure for this combo? (PSI/BAR)
2. One 302 whit OEM cranck, forged rod and piston, main studgirdle, 278/288 Crane cam, roller rockers, manley race flo valvles (1,94x1,60) ported iron heads (D7oe) will survive hoew amount off pressure? 9,0:1CR
What is the max pressure suported to this combos ?
3. At this time how is much good,(durabiliti and power) one blower engine or the same combo whit no blower.
4. How is the best blower/compressor to my car, one Maverick 1974, i aprecciate do not cut the hood.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about blower setups, but I would think, on a stock setup, you could max push about 6-8psi, because the stock pistons are very brittle, and would shatter if your mixture is even just a little lean.

The second setup you mentioned would probably be good to 10-15psi, or 450-500HP, but you'd be at the limit of the stock block, and it probably wouldn't last too long.

The paxton/novi centrifugal superchargers are good for underhood setups - they are driven off of the crank and mounted like any other accesory (like an AC)

9.0 compression is a little high with a blower, you'll definitely have to run premium with decent pressure, and probably race gas at 10-15psi.

The 1974 block you could run cheaper fuel in, though maybe not because though the 1974 blocks have less compression, they also have terrible quench.

Durability, if you keep the pressure under 10psi, and build a good solid engine, it will be just as reliable as a naturally aspirated engine (with no blower) if you aren't always hard on it. However, if you drive it hard, it won't last as long, because you'll be making more power.

A blower is fine for performance and it will last pretty long too, if the boost is reasonable and you don't drive it like you stole it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts