Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given a complete 302 engine minus the intake manifold. I was told it was a 1986 Mustang roller motor.

Afterwards someone told me that the 1986 block was not very good for some reason but could not tell me why.

I was thinking about rebuilding the engine to replace the one that is in my 1978 F150.

Is there actually a defect in this year model block and should I look for something different or should I go ahead and starting building an engine based on this block?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
It just like the later ones, except...

It has flat top pistons WITHOUT any valve reliefs. If an aftermarket cam it to be run, the pistons will need notches cut into them. Either that, or different pistons will need to be used.

This engine also had a weird, one year only 'high swirl' head that didn't work as expected. The valves were shrouded badly, and they didn't perform. The E7 (87') head was a big improvement the next year.

It also had a smaller intake than the later cars... but I guess that doesn't matter in your case.

There you have it...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with the 86 block its the heads that weren't so good.Ford changed them in 86 and promptly changed them back again for 87 as they didn't perform as well as they were supposed to.I also believe the pistons have no valve reliefs,but if you just have the bare block none of this concerns you.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
RED FLAG

I just noticed that your truck is a 78' model. Engine balances changed in 1982 to 50oz-in. You'll need a pre-82 engine to rebuild for that truck to work with it's existing flywheel and harmonic balancer. I guess you -could- use this block, along with an earlier crank, but the the flange on the earlier crank's rear seal would need to be machined off to work with the later block's one piece rear main seal.

It's also a hydraulic roller block. You can use one of these cams, or stick a flat tappet in there. Given the application, I'd stay with the hyd. roller.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

I am planning to use this motor in a project if it pans out to be worthwhile.

I would like to keep my truck pretty well stock except for wheels and tires, but put a modern powerplant in it, complete with fuel injection.

I saw a Mustang in a magazine a few months back. I think it was a 67 fastback with a modern day Cobra engine in it. The engine looked right at home between the fenders of that car.

Since I don't have a Mustang, I thought I would try something similar with my truck.

I figured that with the reliability, performance and economy of modern day technology with AOD and fuel injection would be cool.

I could have the best of the old and then new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts