Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between a 74 302 block and a 85 5.0 block. I just got roller lifters and the spider, and have a 85 block that has the proper holes for the comp cams spider. the 74 302 doesnt. I want to take the 74 302 crank and piston/rod combo (cuz it was balanced)and put them into the 85 block. And use all the 74 302 covers, damper,etc. It's going into the 68 Fairlane and will be easier for me then getting under drive pulleys for the 5.0, and playing with the flywheel/balncer, etc. I need a roller cam now, and what would be a good choice for a 3400 pound car, stage 2 C4, 2200 stall convertor, 3.55 gear 8in.

Rick

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 4/2/02 8:35am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
You can have the flange milled off the back of an early crank to fit the 1 piece seal.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easier just getting the 74 fixed to accept the spider. Thanx guys.

Will a E-303 or whatever roller cam work in a 74 block. Are the roller cams reverse rotation or something like that, cuz the 85 (pre-roller though) block had reverse rotation water pump, serpentine crap and didnt want to play with that. I dont want to have to change alot of stuff on the block. I know I need diff. length pushrods, and I'll be using 68 302 4V heads, and I want the motor to sound nice. The cam in my car now is ground at 105, the E-303 is 112, does that cam sound stock or does it have a rumble. Thanx alot guys.

Rick

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
To put a roller cam in the 74 block, you'll need a reduced base circle cam grind - so you can't just use any roller cam. If you want the roller cam, getting the 74 crank milled for the one piece seal would be your best bet. It will probably be cheaper than getting a roller conversion on the 74 as well.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that mean then the 85 5.0 takes the regular roller cam base circle and wont need the reduced one.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
dark,
The 74 is not a roller block, so you either use the crane link bar roller lifter and any std. base circle roller cam (5.0 cam).

Or, you use the stock 86 and up roller lifters and retainers, but then a reduced base circle cam.

Onthe 85 block, I am not sure, you need to make sure it is a roller block... tops of the lifter bores will be machined flat for the roller guides... and there would be two tapped holes in the intake valley for the retainer.

This article explains/pictures it all:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/01/rollerconversion/index.shtml

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Comp Cams p.n. 31-1000 conversion kit (link bar and lifter hold-downs) and stock 5.0 roller lifters out of a T-Bird. The 85 block does have 2 threaded holes for the link bar. The 74 doesnt, and my kit doesnt have the nylon spacers that should be there (its a new kit, just missing some crap I guess) to put in the early blocks. I will take pix tomorrow and post here of the 5.0 and the link bar.
The 85 block is still good, should I use that, but can I use the 74 damper and flywheel on the 85 block and my standard front dress so it looks like the original motor, and use a standard 5.0 roller cam with my link bar from comp. cams.
I need new rings and bearing on either of them, so might as well use the one that is going to be less of a headache for me, most of my funds are going to the Cougar, and want to spend as little as possible on the new motor.
I drive the Fairlane all year and want a reliable motor, and my 289 is almost history, and want to get this motor done, and roller is sounding kinda not right now.
Thanx alot for the time guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts