Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is my first time posting I have been reading through for quite a while now learning I have a 1969 Sportroof Mustang with the original motor which is tired prior to I had a 1985 GT that was a project gone really bad so I am stripping it and sending off my point is the roller motor out of the GT had been bored already .30 over the local speed shop says .40 is fine if it needs it if it does is it worth it my idea for this is possibly a stroker kit with 69-70 351W heads not too sure of the cam yet but mainly would it be reasonable to do this motor if I had to bore it out or should I forget it and start to look at crate motors I am interested in the Ford Motorsports 351W with the GT-40 alumimnum heads I am a really new to this so any info would be appreciated or if you need any other info Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as you, I've got a 68 Cougar with a 302 I'm planning on building up and I'm picking the minds of the racing guru's here to help me figure out the best combo for me.

The engine I'm starting with is a factory 1968 302 motor with 20,000 miles on the rebuild (bored 0.30 over). Since the block is fairly fresh I think I'm going to just get some better heads, cam, intake, carb and headers. Then maybe a shift kit and converter and some rear end work. I'll be happy if the car will consistently run in the 13's.

If you are starting with a tired block I'd start with the 351 W, or variation there of. It should pretty much bolt into your car although the deck height is about 1.5 inches taller and it's a wider motor, you may have to watch your inner fender wall clearances too. I think must people just cut the fenders out if it's a problem. If a 392 crate motor (351 W stroker) is in your budget I'd just go for that. I think they are about $5,000 fairly complete. If you want to make power there is no alternative to cubes.

If it's a daily driver, the 302 roller block, perhaps stroked to 347+++ ci (with the 0.40 bore) is plenty. I see 302 stroker cranks routinely sell for about $150 on ebay. I think it's funner too if you build it yourself and not just drop in a crate motor.

Just make sure you know exactly what you want out of the car before you build it. It gets expensive when you build it mildly because you want to drive it everyday, then decide you want to go faster and then change everything again. Plan well and continue to read the forum. I've learned a tremendous amount here.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies right now I am just about finished with the Interior and contemplating doing the T-5 conversion now, I just got my pedals for it, before I install the 85 Mustang Seats and deciding whether to start the suspension, I think I am going to go with the crate I was looking at the Coast High 393 Classic looks nice and comes with a warrenty where the FMS does not maybe build the 5.0 roller and put it into the ranger, I want to try building one once, At least the 69 motor is running for now thanks again

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts