Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have some questions as im new. i have an 87 model 302 non roller. e7 heads. i am wanting to increase compression a little. talked to the machine shop and here is what ive come up with.
1. shave heads .40
2. pistons- speed pro H273CP floating style with a 1.605 compheight.

pistons and head shave am i pushing the valve to piston clearance?
with the .40 milled head the cc will be around 52-54 roughy. has anyone seen a difference in their engine based on this? i have a summit diul plane aluminum intake. will it have to be shaved as well to match the heads?

thank you!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h273cp/overview/

here are the pistons

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
hey guys i have some questions as im new. i have an 87 model 302 non roller. e7 heads. i am wanting to increase compression a little. talked to the machine shop and here is what ive come up with.
1. shave heads .40
2. pistons- speed pro H273CP floating style with a 1.605 compheight.

pistons and head shave am i pushing the valve to piston clearance?
with the .40 milled head the cc will be around 52-54 roughy. has anyone seen a difference in their engine based on this? i have a summit diul plane aluminum intake. will it have to be shaved as well to match the heads?

thank you!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h273cp/overview/

here are the pistons
What is the rest of the combo? Carb, intake, cam, headers?, exhaust, trans, converter, rear gear, type of car, weight, intended use...

A head swap (without messing with pistons) might be a far better move.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the rest of the combo? Carb, intake, cam, headers?, exhaust, trans, converter, rear gear, type of car, weight, intended use...

A head swap (without messing with pistons) might be a far better move.
625 street demon
dual plane summit intake power range 1500-5000
cam kit K31-218-2
87 short bed pickup 4x4
np435 4 speed, most likely gonna change to 5
long tube headers
will be a 3.55 gear
just to drive and ocassionally pull small boat/trailer.

just wanting to have a decent little running 302 up from stock.
GAWR of truck 6100LBS

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
625 street demon
dual plane summit intake power range 1500-5000
cam kit K31-218-2
87 short bed pickup 4x4
np435 4 speed, most likely gonna change to 5
long tube headers
will be a 3.55 gear
just to drive and ocassionally pull small boat/trailer.

just wanting to have a decent little running 302 up from stock.
GAWR of truck 6100LBS
I looked up the cam, and it's a Comp Cams Flat Tappet 268 High Energy. It measures 218 @ 0.050" intake and exhaust with a 110 degree lobe separation. That translates into wanting 9:1 compression, and having good midrange power. Should be a good choice for your truck.

I would not put all that effort into getting a little bit of compression. If I were going to spend money on ANYTHING at this point, it would be for a set of heads, as that's the bottleneck on small block Fords.

Since your cam is a flat tappet, I'd buy a set of these Edelbrock E-Street heads. You'll also need rocker arms and hardened pushrods.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5023/overview/make/ford
Since the heads come with springs and all, you could save a little money by just buying the cam and lifters instead of the entire cam kit.

This being said... Your truck is a 1987. Are you certain the engine has a flat tappet vs. hydraulic roller?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up the cam, and it's a Comp Cams Flat Tappet 268 High Energy. It measures 218 @ 0.050" intake and exhaust with a 110 degree lobe separation. That translates into wanting 9:1 compression, and having good midrange power. Should be a good choice for your truck.

I would not put all that effort into getting a little bit of compression. If I were going to spend money on ANYTHING at this point, it would be for a set of heads, as that's the bottleneck on small block Fords.

Since your cam is a flat tappet, I'd buy a set of these Edelbrock E-Street heads. You'll also need rocker arms and hardened pushrods.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5023/overview/make/ford
Since the heads come with springs and all, you could save a little money by just buying the cam and lifters instead of the entire cam kit.

This being said... Your truck is a 1987. Are you certain the engine has a flat tappet vs. hydraulic roller?
yeah she is a flat tappet. the roller block would have been nice but this thing was all factory when i tore it down. all the reading ive done say the heads are the killer on 302 fords

1 - 5 of 5 Posts