Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 71 Torino 500 2 dr ht with 302. I rebuild my engine a few months ago. But I couldnt get what I desired. I used federal mogul's engine rebuild kit with forged pistons. Bored over 0.030. I bought a rpm air gap manifold with 650 cfm holley carb. I have mallory 85 series HEI distributor. For transmission, I have a c4 with 2000-2200+ tork convertor with transpak. Rear end ratio is 3.0 with tires 265/50/15 . I cant afford to buy aftermarked heads now. I used lunati vodoo cam 61001 (256/262 , 0.483/0.499 , operates between 1000-5500). I am using power steering. It will be a street car.

I am thinking to replace cam with lunati 61003 (268/276, .522/.538 ). But I thought to change valve springs also with this cam. So I talked with 2 different experts from lunati tech service. One recommeded to use this cam with valve spring kit 73815K2, but tkhe other one said I could have some clearance issues with that cam and 73815K2 spring kit !!!! I am confused now. I will also buy headers. Now what you can recommend? I am not a cam expert. Also things are really hard in my country( Turkey), we dont have much options like in Usa. I dont want to make anything wrong. I need your help please :)

Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Anyone of the major camshaft producers would give you expert advice on what grind to use. Just email them and carefully describe what you have and how you intend to use it. Keep us informed as to the type you are considering. John--Las Vegas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone of the major camshaft producers would give you expert advice on what grind to use. Just email them and carefully describe what you have and how you intend to use it. Keep us informed as to the type you are considering. John--Las Vegas.
Hi John,

As I mentioned before, I had an email trafic with lunati experts :) One of them says it is safe to use that cam with that spring kit. But the other one said I would have clearance issues with that cam and spring kit.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cant understand the differences for the same cam, those guys must be smoking something... I have no idea what to use for your selection and or eventual usage of car for selection, but it would seem that they (tech) should be in the same book, never mind the page.... Maybe try a different mfg for a similar grind. (Comp, Crane, Isky, etc)

Sorry not much help more of a ramble....

MRO.....

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Ahmet,

What's wrong with that Voodoo cam 61001 you've got now? For a street car I would think that cam and converter combo would be working pretty good. If your wanting your ride faster then those stock heads will be holding you back for sure along with that 3:00 gear and no headers.

I agree with Mroldfart2U, I'd check into another cam maker like Comp, Crower or Isky. But for certain you need to get headers and gearing done before you do another cam change so you get the most out of your set up, you might like your set up better.

Is there a place near you that can do performance tuning? Without gearing your ride will be slow off the line till the cam rpm range kicks in and even if you put a higher lift cam in your current converter won't stall high enough to do it's best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahmet,

What's wrong with that Voodoo cam 61001 you've got now? For a street car I would think that cam and converter combo would be working pretty good. If your wanting your ride faster then those stock heads will be holding you back for sure along with that 3:00 gear and no headers.

I agree with Mroldfart2U, I'd check into another cam maker like Comp, Crower or Isky. But for certain you need to get headers and gearing done before you do another cam change so you get the most out of your set up, you might like your set up better.

Is there a place near you that can do performance tuning? Without gearing your ride will be slow off the line till the cam rpm range kicks in and even if you put a higher lift cam in your current converter won't stall high enough to do it's best.

Thank you very much. Yes there is a performance tuning place and my mechanic is very good but I am trying to learn and get your opinions. Also I havent discussed it yet with him. I will buy headers, but which ratio do you recommend for rear end?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thank you very much. Yes there is a performance tuning place and my mechanic is very good but I am trying to learn and get your opinions. Also I havent discussed it yet with him. I will buy headers, but which ratio do you recommend for rear end?
Depends really on what YOU want to expect for the car... week-end warrior, cruiser etc.... The 3.50-3.89 ratio will give lot of life feel to it, but if you are a hyway cruiser type then I'd stay below 3.70ish or so... M2C.... If you are going to eventually go to and overdrive of any kind then you can think along the lines of 3.89- 4.56ish..... Its really dependent on what you are willing to compromise with....

I am NOT trying to confuse really... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends really on what YOU want to expect for the car... week-end warrior, cruiser etc.... The 3.50-3.89 ratio will give lot of life feel to it, but if you are a hyway cruiser type then I'd stay below 3.70ish or so... M2C.... If you are going to eventually go to and overdrive of any kind then you can think along the lines of 3.89- 4.56ish..... Its really dependent on what you are willing to compromise with....

I am NOT trying to confuse really... ;)
NO dont think that way. I really understand, thank you very much. Actually I want a powerful cruiser. I want manuel transmission but now I cant afford. So I need to continue with c4:) I dont like that 3 gear transmissions. I cruise more with this car. I dont like that car is crying out even going on highway with 60 mph, there should be 4th and 5th gears :))) I checked manufacrurers and saw that 3,55 is avaliable. What do you think about that?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm running 3.50 gears in my Falcon with 26" tall tires and a C4 trans. It's fine on the highways for the little time I drive them. Around 3,000 RPM at 65 MPH or so. If you're comfortable with that then you should be okay. I wouldn't go much lower (higher gear ratio) than 3.50:1 ratio in your car.

I agree that the cam you have should work well with what you have now once you add headers and gears. Going with a larger cam is going to hurt performace unless you go with a higher stall converter, lower gears and maybe better heads as well. It's all about flow, from the air filter to the exhaust tips. As far as the engine is concerned think of the engine as an air pump, everything has to match and work together. If any one item isn't flowing like the rest they all fail. Even a smaller carb on your current set-up might make more power than you are now.

From there you'll need to make sure the rest of the drivetrain is matched up to the engine and your performance needs. Gearing, transmission set-up (converter stall, etc.), tire size and vehicle weight all come into play here.

Keep doing your homework and make good choices the first time. Trust me, I've been down the road of replacing performance parts trying to make it right and it gets frustrating and expensive.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank you all again. I talked with my mechanic, he said the same things. So I will find a 3,55 rear end and buy headers. :) there is no need for cam raplacement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts