Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a 1971 302 2v with stock dished pistons handle Cleveland 351 2v heads? Are special pistons required? Can the stock pistons be modified? Obviously I don't know this combo too well yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not only do the pistons not have the correct valve relief location, you also have alot of other issues to address. Gotta do some head work, namely the coolant passage on the bttom of the heads needs to be plugged. A few holes need to be drilled in the deck, you have to find an intake or use 200 dollar intake spacer. If your gonna build a fake boss 302, make it worthwhile and atleast use an aussie 2v closed chamber head.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For what its worth on a 351 cleveland I lost 1/2 second and 5 mph by switching from open chamber 4V heads to closed chamber australian 2V heads. The bottom end was crisper but in no way did the better bottom end response make up for the total lack of top end power.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-11-03 11:18, mikeandnatasha wrote:
For what its worth on a 351 cleveland I lost 1/2 second and 5 mph by switching from open chamber 4V heads to closed chamber australian 2V heads. The bottom end was crisper but in no way did the better bottom end response make up for the total lack of top end power.
I fully agree the most your gonna get from an aussie 2v head max porterd is around 500hp, but frankly I have no patience anyymore for the same internet crap "4v heads have no torque on the street" myths

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-11-03 11:43, woody1 wrote:
I fully agree the most your gonna get from an aussie 2v head max porterd is around 500hp, but frankly I have no patience anyymore for the same internet crap "4v heads have no torque on the street" myths
And if you'd said "Use 4v heads!" that's exactly what you'd have gotten, a ton of people spouting that they're worthless on the street. I say they're not, even on a 302 application.

Anyhow, I think woody's point was if you're going to use 2v heads as the original poster said, at least go with the closed chamber ones. Open chamber 2v heads DO make good doorstops though. Till you trip over one of the bastards.

Cris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can the fly cutting (piston notching for valve reliefs) tool from Isky cams be used with the cleveland head to make the valve reliefs needed in a flat top piston?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bigpres20012001 on 11/8/06 3:06am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts