Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of assembaling my motor. Block is a 66 289. Crank is a 70 302. Having clearance issues with the rear crank counterwieght hitting #4 cyl wall. It's just nicking it. Just mocking up right now just for this reason, but I thought 289/302 shared the same block? How much clearance is required in this area?

Cheers
Matt

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
you got the thrust bearing installed ?

.060" clearence , can go less the braver you are

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Wow, you should NOT have clearance issues. 289 and earlier 302 blocks are functionally identical. But, if it needs clearanced, it needs clearanced. Double check everything to make sure there isn't something screwy. 0.060" should be good.

Does the crank have 2M stamped on it? As that's a older style 302 crank.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's my old 289 block and here's a pic of the crank and where it's nicking the cyl bore. Sucks. Now I'll have to wash the block again. Oh well. That's why I check these things. Just seems odd to me. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1357096470.179472.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoguide1357096494.706244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
+1 point for checking. That's the right way to do it, and any issues you have are best found now. :D :tup: You don't have to wash the block again. Just put a blob of grease on the area, file through it by hand with a rat tail or shaping file, and pick the grease and filings off with a paper towel. Easy squeezy.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're probably ok measuring .002" w/plastigage. Plastigage can be vey accurrate measuring flat surfaces but curved journals don't squish the Plastigage like a flat surface would. From what I've seen, when using it to measure main journals, the clearance is usually .0005"-.001" larger than indicated. Make sure the bearing and jounal have no oil on either side. Some guys will put oil on the bearing before laying the crank in, that reduces clearance. And always use new, fresh Plastigage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts