Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a '63 Fairlane 500 with a 302 that won't run properly. I did a compression test and on the #1 cylinder it squirted fuel like a fountain. I also tried a few other things to try to determine what the problem is and I've come to the conclusion that the carb is broken in some way. When the engine is idling I can pull the choke on or off and there is NO reaction from the motor. I've checked that the choke actually opens and closes when I pull the knob. And it's the same with the mixture screws I can turn them in and out engine has no reaction. The carb is a Holley 2010 2 barrel I'm guessing around 360 cfm. Any ideas what the problem is?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I would suggest that if Number 1 was spitting fuel, you need to check firstly if it is firing.
Determine that first.

If it was a carb problem, then all cylinders would probably be flooding, not just one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During some spark testing yesterday the #3 cylinder starded spitting and all/most of the spark plugs are shorted. They had just been changed when I bought it, so it's most likely due to drowning. I also changed the carb to an original 2 barrel Autolite and cranked it over with no spark plugs in it and the cylinders didn't turn into fountains, so I guess the problem was somewhere in the Holley carb.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK. Vacuum leak I hear, Exhaust leak I hear, possibly a crossed plug wire, TOO MUCH FUEL going through carb (probably blown power valve), that's just the beginning....

Get some casting numbers and letters off the Block and the Intake manifold, so we can ID the year of the engine. Ignore the metal tag under the ignition coil for now(if it's still there). And we'll help as much as we can. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know everything apart from the short block is from a '77 302, the short block was bought brand new 19 years ago, so that'll make it a mid 90's block.
I put an Autolite carb on it today, so the Holley is out of the picture, if that cured that vacuum leak I don't know. Haven't fired it up yet.
The spark plug wires have been checked, double checked and then double checked again. In an anti-clockwise direction they go 15426378. Number one on the distributor is the one pointing to the drivers side.
And the exhaust leak is on the rear of the engine's left side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts