Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,
Been doing research on a 69 Ford F100 that I'll be picking up soon. Previous owner says the truck is 100 percent stock . Has 302 with 3 speed OD column shift . I'm trying to find the towing capacity for this truck . I don't expect it to be much with a 302 under the hood but the specs I'm finding are interesting. The 302 from 69-71 shows 210 hp and 295 ft lbs @2,600 rpm. The following 1972 it dropped to 135 hp. I see a lot of posts saying the 302 can't pull much but many of those posts are with 72-later 302s . Would a 69 F100 302 pull significantly better being its legs werent cut till 72? What differences did ford make to effect the numbers so drastically ? Emissions? Many questions but not find info for 69-71 only later models. :laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1971 and earlier, gross HP after that net HP.
I had to actually look up the difference between gross and net as I'm new to that and apparently in 71-72 auto makers started using emissions stuff which did bring down the numbers but the main cause for that was it being measured with everything connected (net hp) vs the motor being tested on a stand without air cleaners, transmission etc ( gross hp) . Guess I understand why it's so easy to get confused when comparing 60s engines to 70s- and up . Thanks : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts