Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this in the all ford tech as well, but i figured i'd try here too, to get as many answers as possible..... i'm looking to fuel inject the big block in my mustang, and want to know if there was ever any vehicles with the 302 firing order with mass air....or would mass air be the best path to follow? the motor does have a larger than stock cam, and i have plans to either super or turbo charge it in the future, but i want to do it as cheap as possible, hence the "junkyard harness" approach....any help will be deeply appreciated....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't say absolutely, positively for sure, but from what I have been able to gather, the firing order only has to have the injector wiring changed from the 302 based system to whatever the firing order is of the recipient engine. So, from a 302 harness, shorten, lengthen the individual injection wiring to adapt to the big block firing order. The mass air system does not know or care what the size of the engine or the firing order, all it does is measure the volume of the incoming air and send it to the computor for processing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems as though, i have heard adverse effects from just simply changin the injector firing order, something about the o2 sensors, not being able to meter the a/f ratio correctly....could be an urban legend

also, i got a budddy that has an 87 lincolntown car, that now has the trunk in the rear seat area, and the li'l ole non h.o. 302 runs good, so i was thinkin about gettin the car brought to my house, and usin the 302/aod in a conquest i picked up for wayyyy cheap, and use the harness out of it, for the big block, but convert it to mass air, like so many 86-88 non-cali mustangs have been done, what i'm wondering is if the lincoln harness could be treated the same way??? hell, i might just get chet herbert to cut me a hydraulic roller, with the 351 firing order, and just use mustang stuff.....

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
After doing some more research on the injector wiring I have found out that the computor has to be retuned to the engine firing order of the engine you wish to use. I spoke to Chris at mass-flo efi about this as I am planning on using their system on my 390 FE and this is the way they do their system. It seems to not be a huge deal as most any shop that "tunes" the ford computor system should be able to dial in the correct firing order.

·
Registered
712 Posts
DO NOT REWIRE INJECTORS, it will mess with the O2 sensors causing the banks to lean out and richen up uncontrollably and possibly cause engine damage. Look for a mass air Crown Vic s, or any non HO 5.0. Some shops can change the programming to suit other firing orders and add a more aggressive fuel/timing curve, but that costs money. I have to get the Air Pump, Canister Purge, EGR, and other strategies taken off my A9L computer, but it runs great now so I'm not messing with that now.
Chris

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
depending on the cost of the revtek unit, if it's too high, i'm just gonna get a cam cut with the 351 firing order, but if it's more affordable than i think, then i will just keep the cam i have, and run it....kinda up in the air right now.....one of the problems i'm gonna have with mpfi, is i don't know how to weld aluminum(not sayin i couldn't, just never have), and i'm a tight wad, so i don't like the idea of paying someone to weld the injectors bungs into my intake, and the ports are different in the late model 460 efi head/intake, than the d0's i have.....it's why i'm likin the idea of the revtek, and it looks wayyyyyy better than the holley projection, that looks like a chevy tbi, just w/ 4 bbls......we'll see

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why don`t you use injectors and EFI sensors from a 460 truck engine and use a 5.0L harness and 7.5L pcm. Most connectors should interchange, Like injectors, IAC,ECT. You wouldn`t have Mass Air though. It would work until You get crazy. Then mass air would be better IMO.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That and trucks have bank fire injectors. I thought about that, but he wouldn't have mass air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts