Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm looking for a little advice please.....I have a '63 Fairlane and I put a '71 302 in it. It has D0OE heads. I ordered a set of rebuilt heads and one head is a D2OE which shouldn't be a problem ( i think) and the other is a C9TE. The intake ports are very close in size but the combustion chambers look different. Similar in shape but not exactly. The D2OE comb. chamb. appears to be the same as my D0OE heads. Will the difference in combustion chamber sizes cause my engine to not run smoothly? I haven't installed them yet and can still return them. The rebuilder told me he sent me these because that's all he had with the 18mm plugs. Any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My idea is ask him if he can rebuild YOURS for the carry out price.... That way they will still be 'paired'.... You are correct in thinking the 2 are different as they probably are the C9 is a 69 the D2 is a 72, and I think the chamber sizes are different. Maybe someone that has the info for verification, will chime in later...

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Return them. They are mismatched. :tdn: MOF2U's idea is good to have them (or another shop that cares more about your welfare) reman your set for a matched pair.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks folks. i considered having them do my heads but believe it or not they want more $ to do mine. almost double assuming they don't need any valves. if they do, fuggetabowdit. i'm not sure which direction i'll end up going in. as far as the chamber sizes, i can see by eye that they are different for sure. thanks again

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah. That's crazy. A shop near me does a basic freshen up for $150 a pair. (grind, tank, ect) I am not sure if it includes guides, I don't think so but they might offer knurling.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
thanks folks. i considered having them do my heads but believe it or not they want more $ to do mine. almost double assuming they don't need any valves. if they do, fuggetabowdit. i'm not sure which direction i'll end up going in. as far as the chamber sizes, i can see by eye that they are different for sure. thanks again
I think i'd find a different shop. (after you get a refund) Unless your heads are in really bad shape (needing a lot of valves/valve seats, guides etc) I cant see WHY the price would be double.

The heads he had"ready to go" sounds like some ones drop off's that had a single bad head and never came to pick them up, probably from different people. And just wanted to clear the shelf space.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. As far as the GT40 heads go....what push rods would i use? i know i'd have to get the gt40 rockers but didn't that engine use roller lifters? i am using a flat tappet cam and lifters which, if i am not mistaken, are shorter than roller lifters? aren't the combustion chambers larger than my D0OE heads?
i think the D0OE's are 58cc and the gt40's are 62cc?
I just saw a set of rebuilt heads for a '65 289 for a very reasonable price but again, different (smaller) comb. chamber size. they came in at 54cc. i know that they'll all work and i don't have a performance 302 here but i don't want the 302 to have less umph than the 6 banger that i pulled out of there and i don't want to run 93 octane gas eithier. hmmmmm decisions,decisions

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
GT40 heads have the same geometry as others, so your engine's pushrod length (6.876") should be fine, but always measure or test. The GT40 engines used shorter pushrods (6.250") with their taller roller lifters.

David

PS: While there are 'standard' lengths, longer and shorter versions of each are used to set lifter preload. So, you can't assume that a 6.876 pushrod is fine to order, as your preload may need a 6.905 pushrod (and perhaps some shims if GT40) to get proper preload. This is why I said to measure or test - there is no perfect generic length that works every time.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
C9 (1969) and D0 (1970) heads are the same. The D2 heads (1972) have larger combustion chambers.

The old 351W heads use stud type rockers, and I believe the GT40 heads use the fulcrum type... and will need converted to the stud type for an adjustable valvetrain.

However, the GT40 is a better breathing head.

You'll need to check rocker geometry for pushrod length, regardless. Any time a head swap is performed or anything is changed, the geometry needs checked.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heads done by a local shop. re-installed heads, new e-brock performer 289 intake and 600 cfm carb. took it out for a ride and broke the rear u-joint when it shifted from 2-3 winding it out. oh well it was a fun 5 mins anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah....isn't it cool! lol now i need a new driveshaft cause i messed up the end. $300. later..... i hope i don't make a habit of this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts