Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive gotta line on a matching pair of rebiult complete 302 heads. Tha casting number starts at D7, wich I beleive is a 1977. The guy got them for free. Im offering 100$. I know thats a steal.
But im wondering, are these heads smogged? or does it matter? I asked a more knowledgable guy at work, and he said its a straight swap, just plug the smog ports.
Im looking at them tomorow, and I would asume to look for hardened seats, and throw a straightedge on them, but dont know if there is anything else to look for?
Ive heard this upgrade is bigger intake ports, and exhaust ports, is there any other advantage? Should I use 302 head gaskets, or 289 head gaskets?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Those heads are great....For door stops or boat anchors...They have huge combustion chambers that will absolutely kill the compression on a 289(or a 302 for that matter)...There is pretty much no difference between 302 and 289 heads as far as ports sizes..Some are better than others but the main difference is combustion chamber sizes which vary depending on the year they were made..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I will pass on them.
So should i look for heads 68-70?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a set of 66 or 65 260 heads I would let go. They need valves. Can set them up with other options even port them. Probably have some GT40 valves or old 351 valves.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have alot of cash. Im also redoing the whole brake system.
so thats mor important.
The motor runs great as is. doesnt smoke, starts fairly easy, has good oil pressure(40#), I should just leave it alone.
I was interested in those heads because the guy that has them is a chevy guy, and I guesse he was a friend of a guy that died, and the family gave him all his ford stuff. They were rebiult, and milled, new guides, valve job, the whole biz.
Now I know why they were never put on anything.
Thanks again guys, but Ill just enjoy my little 289 as is. Maybe a cam some sunny day.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I will pass on them.
So should i look for heads 68-70?
Nope..I would just keep your 289 heads and have them freshened up..All of the 302 heads will have bigger chambers unless they are the 302 4V heads which are somewhat rare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts