Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

302 heads

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  martyk98 
#1 ·
I picked up an 89 mustang ho 302 short block that has been rebuilt with an f303 cam. Everything I’ve read has said to get gt 40 heads. My question is there an affordable aftermarket head that will work with my set up. I’m not really building this thing to burn the tires off, it’s going in a 63 fairlane 4 door.

#14 ·
I think it was the engine power or horse power TV show built a 306 with the castiron version of the 200cc head with a cheap rotating assembly from summit and a hydraulic roller cam, they reported 400 plus horsepower.
I concentrated on parasitic power loss with better parts and a few things I wanted to try. My second choice was AFR 185, the RhS 200 out floed the ported 185 numbers.
All I can say is thay worked on my 292 I'm pleased with the numbers.

#15 ·
If your looking for more HP, GT 40 heads won't cut it. You may get 10-20 HP more and thats it. IMHO if you want 300 or more HP you need to start from the ground up. I removed the EFI from my 90 mustang GT engine and with a full stock rebuild including factory heads, aftermarket performance intake and new carb, I'm sure I am not topping 250 HP. (I was just looking for a reliable cruiser engine that looks good). I think the GT40 heads are over exaggerated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.