Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on a 1976 302 to go in my Falcon, but it is a marine engine. The seller says those 302s were HO with steel sleeves & steel cranks. Anybody familar with these engines? What needs to be changed for street use? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Maybe a cam swap. Other than that it should be good to go. I'd also consider an automotive distributor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Basicy there the same as a car engine except for the cam. There are 2 bbl and 4bbl versions. The cams are hi output compaired to a automotive application. The cam will work well on the street. There were some 4bbl versions that kept the 69ish 351W head valve and port sizes. Dont realy know when they quit them as I have picked up a few engines with them. They were also drilled to accept the smaller diameter 302 bolts.

I have a 351W marine engine for sale.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Would they have also done some type of coating inside the block for corrosion?

John

No there is no coating. Best to find a trailered boat engine that was not kept in the water for the season. Some had heat exchanges were raw water never came in contact with the engine. Like a car it could have antifreeze in the system. Salt water is the worst. Never kept our boats in FLA in the water and flushed them after each use.
Definately inspect coolant passages.

·
Registered
809 Posts
As turbo said check the cooling passages. If it had a closed cooling system with heat exchanger they should be pretty clean esp if they ran anti freeze. But if it had fresh water system there could be corrosion esp if it was run in saltwater. If it had freshwater system and run in saltwater the saltwater was circulated thru the engine.

But first thing I would check is what rotation is the engine?

Marine engines come standard rotation and reverse rotation,
Standard rotation flywheel spins CCW (counterclockwise)
Reverse rotation flywheel spins CW (clockwise)

Reverse rotation 302 and 351's that came in boats with twin engines would be engine on right side of boat (starboard engine). They also came in boats with single engines.

Firing order
Reverse rotation 302.... 1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5
Standard rotation 302...1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks for the info / advice . I'm going to check it out today, let ya all know what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys I went & checked out the 302 today. It is not a reverse engine. Has heat exchangers on it. It was dry- no oil leaks. Points needed filing, but after that & a good hot battery it started. Ran very smooth with no smoking. So tomorrow I go to pull it. Thinking about leaving the Merccruiser valve covers on it, the intake & 2BBl carb, just for conversation.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If the heat exchangers come with engine... and they are in good shape you can sell them to get some of your money back.
Prob $100 or more each.

Good luck with it.

Lou

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thats what I was guessing but not sure as they changed severl times over the years. Think just changing to a 4bbl it was rated at 235 dont think the cam was different. Marine cams are a bit more like towing cams a bit more duration @ .050 and a bit more lift. Often similar to the high speed towing grinds. I dont think I have any records as to the grind used back in those days. Mercury Marine would never divulge torq numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the engine on a stand Monday. I discovered hairline crack in block behind flywheel, from freeze damage, so back to looking for a engine for my 65 Falcon project.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Where are you located? Somebody in your area may have something?
Or go find a 5.0 explorer with lower miles. Will be a good swap engine.

I've got a good 302 if your near Indy.

Jet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts