Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 302 to rebuild and put in my 88 GT, the seller told me it was out of a 89 GT, however I am having doubts as I look deeper into it. It is a Mass Air motor, the Casting Code on it (by starter) is 32
E7TE
CA

there is a partial VIN stamped on the back side of block above the flywheel: JX701769

Anyone have any insight on determining what year engine this is and if it is actually out of a Fox Body or a Truck? I didn't pay too much for it but its killing me not knowing, My car still has the stock 302/speed dens motor in it (106k) with zero perf mods to it, been sitting in my Garage since 04 when I deployed. finally have some $ saved to turn it into a decent street car, Id like to get down to low 13's as economical as possible, andy suggestions on proven set ups is greatly appreciated.

thanks guys
Ryan

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
In response to your first question - the E7TE block was used for every 5.0L engine made for several years. So, while roller-capable, it could be built in every version offered. Most versions were not roller. One of the exceptions was the HO in the Mustang, Lincoln MkVII and some rare T-Birds. There is no trustworthy way to externally tell which version it is - especially after 25 years of possible changes.

My suggestion is to remove a valve cover, and look down past a pushrod (or remove a rocker and pushrod to see better) to look for roller lifter retainers. If you can not see the tell-tale fingers of a 'dog bone' lifter retainer on each side of the lifter - it's not a roller.

On the other hand, one up-side to a 5.0 is that they are basically all the same with minor variations with the same rods, same crank, etc. So, if you have a truck flat-tappet engine, you can pull the flat cam and install a roller, etc. If you are looking to build-up your engine anyway, this will generally mean you have no big disadvantage if it's not an HO. Even if using high-stress nitrous to hit your 13's, cast non-HO pistons will take the abuse if set-up properly. If you were looking for 10's on laughing gas, that would be a different story. HTH

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts