Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jim here. i have owned two 68 torino fastbacks, one had a 390 and the other had a 351 in it. both were mild builds for the street and i was happy with the performance that each engine could produce. i have found a very nice 68 fastback with a 302 roller engine out of a 80s mustang. the engine runs perfect and has a mild build also. i do like performance and my concern is i have never had a car with a 302 in it, especially a torino fastback which is a large heavy car. will this engine be a dissapointment in this larger car or am i over reacting. should i look for a larger displacement engine or can i get a solid performer out of a 302 in in a big heavy torino? thanks, jim.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It will move it just not as handily as the 390 or the 351 would (torque). It will take a few more revs etc. But that said, it depends on the build of the engine and what YOU are expecting and wanting the car to do..... I'd say a test drive (if poss) would be the best, then decisions can be made to see if "its for you". One way to help a small cube/heavy car combo, is rear end gearing, but not knowing the trans that can be a bear to deal with. (low gearing, hyway driving etc)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've had 302s in 68 and 71 Torinos, and they moved surprisingly plenty fast. Not sure how, but I could smoke the tires on the 68 with a very worn motor.

For the street a 302 is a great engine, especially a late model 5.0 since they rev nice and breathe better. If you want to tap into the power sooner, change your gears to something like 3.43- 3.70.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My 68 Torino fastback was a factory 289 car, and I put a stock 1971 f-100 302 in it and just swapped a 4bbl on it. It's got 2.79 gears and it still moves along good, would be a lot more snappy off the line with different gears but its still fun. I would think an 80's roller motor that's built up a little should move that car quite well.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
All true, and am not real certain but in 68 even tho its a "larger"car its probably not as heavy as you think it is....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts