Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a different motor in my stang, with a new 160 deg. thermostst, newer stock water pump, new perma-cool 16" electric fan, and the stock radiator. I didn't think it would overheat, but whenever I run it for about 30 mins, the temp gauge will get past 210. And this is in 50 degree weather. I know the thermostat is opening, and the fan is on all the time. Plus, it does this in traffic and cruising on the freeway (about 2400 RPM). It also has the A/C ratio water pump and crank pulleys. It's not leaking any coolant. So why is it overheating?!?!? Aaargh. Anything would really help. Thanks.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I agree with the other guy. Try putting your water pump fan and take off the electric. I put an electric fan on my 302 stang a while ago. It was one from pep boys.. it only pushed around 1600cfms. This actually made my engine run warmer. The blades were very close together, so even while driving on the freeway, not enough air would find its way through the fan blades...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct water pump, ie not reverse rotation?
Lift off the radiator cap and start the engine. Let it warm up until the thermostat opens. You should then see coolant flowing through the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fan's pulling air. It may be that it's just too weak, but it feels like it pulls more air at idle than the mechanical fan did. I'll check the water pump. Do you think that it could be caused by something in the radiator?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
how bout the 160 isnt enough and its staying open all the time and the water is circulating to fast and doesnt have time to cool in the radiator.Try a 180.You dont need a fan going 30mph and up

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, It overheated with the new 180 thermostat, and I put in the 160 yesterday...no difference.

The car is a '67 mustang, originally 289 4v/three speed car, now with a 302 with ported stock heads, stock cam, performer intake, holley 600, long tube headers, etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm going to attempt to keep this short and sweet since I went around the block about 5 times with the same problem.

Start at the radiator! See if it is a 2 row or 3 row unit and look inside and see if it is clogged up. When is the last time it was cleaned?

If it is a 2 row, junk it, and find a 390 radiator for your car - but whatever you do, don't forget to run a fan shroud!

·
Registered
465 Posts
P.S., As an after thought, you said you have a "new" 16 inch electric fan. Ditch it and go back to the mechanical fan with a shroud<U></U>. (I've been down that road too)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The old myth about moving the water too quickly thru the system to pull heat is incorrect. Stewart Components has some good info on this on their website.

I'd say it's a combination of the radiator and the fan. Most stock sbf radiators are pretty wimpy. And the parts-store elec fans don't pull nearly enough air for commuter type use. Check out the fan my local speed shop is selling. http://www.ramchargers.com . It's a production vehicle fan from Valeo (don't know how they got 'em). I run one of these in my daily driver behind a Pep Boys 3-core rad. Works GREAT!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the radiator is a two row from a parts store....that is why....VERY WIMPY!
It is too small for you motor. I had the same problem when i was tight on money and went from my 3+ row radiator to a stock 2 row from autozone. Nevertheless...I had to go back to my 279.99 radiator from NPD.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are going to run an electric fan get the Blackmagic from Flex-a-lite... Pulls 2800 cfm, comes with an electronic thermostat, and a manual override. This one works..

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think one of the guys said this- You sure you don't have a water pump turning the wrong way, in your case I assume a reverse rotation pump would be the wrong one, I ordered a Stewart pump & got the reverse rotation one by mistake, caught it before installing though.
I had all your issues, with a 3 row rad. Stewart pump (normal rotation) & a Taurus electric fan/shroud the thing runs at 160 in heavy traffic, if anything it runs a bit cold!
Taurus or the Lincoln electric fans kick out huge CFM;s, you can avoid the spike on your electrical system on start up by using a Flexalite variable speed controller, it brings the fan on slowly & then ramps up to the speed required, mine hardly ever goes to full rpms.
motor- 347 stroker built by Stefko racing engines
As posts above, start at the rad, make sure its cleaned out, it'd be running a 3 row at least.
My local rad. shop took my 2 row stock rad, used the top tank & a larger bottom tank from GDI industries & built me a 3 row all for under 300 bucks.
Good Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts