Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i turned the key today on my mustant with a 302 and right away it started making a klinkety klang sound..sounds like it's coming from the top somewhere..could it be valve float?

i was driving the car yesterday..pretty hard..and it wasn't making any noise as i parked it..but today,cold..bad.

the engine idles and evry now and then it will "klink klank"..

just had an oil change and new oil filter on it.

i've yet to really dive into engine work so this is a new situation for me.

any thoughts that can push me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update...

noise is gone when engine warms up.. i'm puzzeled

i'm gonna start it cold again in a couple of houres to see if it's still there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: terlinguaterror on 7/24/06 6:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Rocker arms loose.......?

When installing the rocker arms, it is nessasary to turn the engine to adjust the rockers that may have had pre-load on them from the valves that were in the lift position on the camshaft.

If this does not make any sense to you, I strongly suggest you get a friend that knows how to adjust these buggers....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometimes the oil filter (if you use one of those junk filters from FRAM) cause problems, switch to a WIX 51515 now and add a quart of oil and you should not see the problem again.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Frams either dont have or have problems with the anti drainback valve IIRC. Then you've got no oil pressure for the lifters for the first few revolutions, and the cam can throw them off the lobe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the suggestions..it might be be ingnition releated i think.
i'm checking wires and spark and also check valves and pushrods if it comes to that..i've got a good oil filter with fresh oil change on the engine.

the low ticking sound is still there,but not at all as loud and present as it was 2 days ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: terlinguaterror on 7/25/06 8:59am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts