Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my firsttime doing this, I have never puller the aod tranny out of my 88 Tbird with a 302. I have ordered a new dorman flexplate and flex plate bolts from summit racing. I also have to pick up exhaust flange bolts, i am sure the ones on the custom exhaust will break when i try to remove them. Are there any short cuts, techinues, tricks that any of you exeperienced people can pass on to me? Is there a website with photos illustrating this job? I have to do the work at Vandenburg AFB's auto hobby shop, so once i start I am stuck there the whole day with no way home, what else should i be prepared to have problems with? Can it be done by one person with minimal help in one day realistically? I always underestimate how long something will take me. Any and all help and advive will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
IF everthing went right, yeah it can be done in one day, but if you do twist off the exhaust bolts, drilling out the old ones will take time. Nothing ever goes as planned, like finding out you've got one or more bad u-joints. Or you round off the u-joint holder nuts, or worse yet, twist one off. You might want to find a place where you've got more time.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Won't happen in one day by yourself. You might get the trans out, K member off, the pan off and the rear cap off. You should have a one piece main seal, which means you will basically have to drop all the caps in order to create enough room to replace the seal on the crank. Once that job is done you will need to restab the transmission, which is not a one man job unless you have a lot of patience/luck/experience and a transmission jack. I would plan two days and get a friend. You will also need transmission fluid, oil & filter, oil pan gasket, maybe bearings since you will be looking at all of them. This is not a small or quick job. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cahorne, Good idea. I thought i could do it without pullng the oil pan. I do have the one piece felpro seal, as for th ebearings, you are talking crankshaft right? how do i tell a bad one? i have done almost everything on a car except for getting inside an engine. Thnaks for all your advice, and please give me more if you have it.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
one piece rear seal leak = main bearing are worn . change the mains or leak will still be there . for me one day with time to spare

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If you have the one peice seal just drop the trans and flywheel. Knock the seal out and put the new one. Reinstall the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
one piece rear seal leak = main bearing are worn . change the mains or leak will still be there . for me one day with time to spare
If mains are worn out need schedule an over haul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts